1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 gmc 6.2 dsl radiator/water pump replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jim628, Feb 20, 2002.

1. jim628

jim628 Junior Member

when replacing radiator should I replace water pump that has 112,000 miles and is working fine?
  2. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

It's a toss-up

Myself, yes I would it's a 1984 & 112,000 miles and the radiator is out of the way, hoses off, fliud out, yea just do it & be done with it. IMO
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

yes i would becuase you know soon as you get all back together and put a few hundred miles on it you have to go thru that whole senerio all over again .but if your handy and don't mind doing it again you could leave it alone you might get 10kor more out of it but first check it to see if there is any play in the bearings.
  4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

I would be inclined to say yes, replace the water pump while everything else is "disassemble all over the place" - depending on how much the replacement pump costs and how major an operation it is to pull the rad/hoses etc again.

I know on my smallblock gasser, water pumps are inexpensive and plentiful. Not sure if the word "diesel" equates to a ton more $$$ for a water pump. If so, you might want to leave it until it has to be done.

Same goes for how big a job it is to tear down again, if it's fairly simple which I believe it should be on a Chevy truck you can always do it later, if it's a major undertaking do it now and save yourself a bunch of aggravation.