1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 f250 wont start after plowing

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by perchking, Feb 24, 2010.

1. perchking

perchking Junior Member

I have an older 84 ford f250 that I just picked up for a song and a dance. I just installed a new battery (interstate) in it and it can be 30 below and it cranks right up. My question is when I am done plowing my lot, and I turn off my truck it wont start up right away. I get one faint click. I am thinking it might be a ground or a voltage regulator I know it inst the battery because the plow still goes up and down just fine and all the lights work great. If I let it sit for about 30 minutes or so it will start up just fine. Not sure where to go on this one.
  2. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

Could be the starter is getting hot from the exhaust manifold. Some starter had a metal heat shield (sheet metal) installed under the manifold to cut down the heat. It's common on GMs but not much on Fords.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

bad connection. likely at the starter.
  4. sjcolwell22

sjcolwell22 Junior Member

Sounds alot like a bad starter and maybe loose cables. Older fords tend to do that when the starter is on its way out. I would replace the starter.
  5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Please post video of "Song and a dance." So I can see what a Ford is really worth.
  6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

we are hearing the song right now. he just started the dance but doesn't know it.