1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 F250 351 Electrical? - Internal? Issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by long0, Aug 27, 2003.

1. long0

long0 Senior Member

I finally had enough time this last weekend to finish putting the new rear end in my truck. I decided I would see how it ran after sitting all summer by driving it to work today. It started no problem this morning, and ran fine the 30 miles to the shop.

I pulled into the shop parking lot and turned off the engine. At about that time, I realized I need to get a couple of things from the warehouse out back, so I tried to start the truck again. The engine sounded like it was ALMOST seized. I say almost, because it would hardly turn over (similar to when a battery is close to being dead with only enough power to turn the engine over very slowly). I walk over the the warehouse and get the battery charger, hook it up, and try to turn it over again. Still the same slow turning response. My next thought was maybe my starter has begun to fail. The part house did not open for another 2 hours.

When I had a break later this morning, I went over to the parts house and got a new starter, installed it, and sure enough the truck started with no problems. I jump in the truck and take the core back. I come out of the store, turn the key and get the same response from the motor as earlier today, only this time I see smoke coming from under the hood. I open the hood and find smoke (smelled like exhaust) coming from the passenger side exhaust manifold. There is a flexible metal tube (approx 2-1/2") that runs from the manifold up to the air filter intake. The air filter side of the tube was not connected and leaning up against the A/C condenser. I left the truck there, came back about an hour later and it started fine. When I got to the shop, I shut the truck off, then tried to restart it and it did the same thing again.

Anybody have any ideas on where to start troubleshooting this, or know why exhaust would be coming out of the top of the exhaust manifold?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would start looking for a connection\cable problem.Probably causing high resistance when hot.Check both the ground and power cables.Look for corrosion or rust,and any swollen cables.

Next I would check the battery,and have it load tested when hot.

The metal tube from the manifold to air cleaner is the heat riser tube.If you were geting smoke from down there,it is most likely a rocker cover gasket which is leaking down onto the manifold,and smoking.It could also be a craked manifold,but you would here it if it was.

Does the smoke only happen when you are trying to crank it ? If so it could be a battery cable or connection smoking,due to a poor connection,or break in the cable.The positive starter feed could even be grounded out somewhere under the manifold.
  3. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

would it hurt to look at timing? I know when I get the timing too far advanced on my parent's 'vette it gets fussy about hot-start. Maybe the advance is stuck advanced. Just a thought
  4. long0

long0 Senior Member

Thanks guys,
    I went out and did a quick inspection of the cables, everything looks good. The connectors are pretty greased up, so I think I will pull them off tonight and clean everything up. That will give me a chance to better inspect the cables also. I would suspect the battery is good, but I will check it also tonight. As far as smoke from the manifold, you are right on by saying it is from the valve cover gasket. I'm sure that is why the connectors are all greased up.
    I left my timing gun on the top of my truck when I drove away from the house a couple of weeks ago, :realmad: so I think I will wait until I see about the wiring before I go buy another gun.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how I came out.

5. long0

long0 Senior Member

Well I went through the complete electrical system last night, cleaning all connections, replacing any wiring or connectors that looked the slightest bit worn. I had the local part house test the battery and it came back as good. Drove the truck to the shop this morning, shut it down, tried to restart with the same problem. Went and bought a new battery, drove for a couple of miles with the new battery and I still have the same problem.

I will check the timing today, but I am pretty sure it is where it needs to be.

Anybody have any more ideas?

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Bad solenoid ? It's cheap and easy to replace.

Bad ground at starter ? The starter mounting area must be clean,or you won't get a good ground.

Engine problem,such as timing,or it siezing up.You could mark the dist base with a punch (double check,it may already be marked from the factory),and when the problem happens,****** the timing some to see if it helps.
  7. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

I'd be looking at the cables. Even though they look ok, corrosion could have infiltrated the cable. Can't see it, but a voltage drop check might reveal it. It's has all the symptoms of high resistance in the cables. As a backyard check just run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter if you can get a connection when it's hot. if it cranks fine then you found your problem. If not try the neg. cable.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Any updates on the truck Andy ? Did you solve the problem ?
  9. long0

long0 Senior Member

I finally got around to working on the truck last night. I had put off working on it until I got more parts. My new undercarriage came in yesterday, so I fugured it was a good time to get a lot of things done on the truck.

I went through and replaced all the cables and solenoid. Picked up a steam cleaner from my buddy and blasted the whole motor, and got out the wire wheel and cleaned the complete mounting area of the starter. Went out and got another timing light and ensured it was correct. Mounted the undercarriage and got all my control wiring installed. Pic in this thread.

I haven't driven the truck yet to verify the problem is solved, but I will take it out tonight and check.

Thanks for all your help guys

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well,with all the work you did,there isn't much left that would cause it not to start.Hope it works out for you.