1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 F150 Starting issue

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Trilogy, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Trilogy

Trilogy Junior Member

I became the owner of a 1984 f150 with a L6 engine, 4 spd trans. 4x4 and a Fisher Speedcast plow. It was used for plowing in the early 90's and donated to my church in 95. At the time the church had an academy, but that closed in 03. I fixed the truck and put it back on the road. It starts fine on warm days, on cold days you have to play with the gas pedal and after the fourth try, give or take, it will stay running. The first few tries it will turn over and then shut down after a few seconds. Also it will act like it wants to stall or backfire if not left to warm up long enough. This only happens on cold days. Any thoughts on how to fix this, or a good place to take it in the Springfield, MA / Enfield, CT area?

2. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Wow, almost to the 'OLD' school (points and condensor to qualify). The first thing I would check is the choke, is it closing and opening properly? Does the carb need rebuilt? or cleaned? Are you letting the clutch out or keeping it in? Out spins the input shaft on the tranny, increasing the load on the engine, esp while cold.
    Chad

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

When it's cold take the air cleaner off the carb. Move to throttle fully open. The choke plate should close off the carb opening. It should have a strong resistance to opening it.You should also have a vacuum pull off that pulls a little bit of a gap on the plate. It should also be working. If it does not you need to replace the electric choke or pull off.. Take the old one's with you to make sure you get the right one. Some are clock wise and some counter clock wise. A good counter guy Will get it right.

4. Trilogy

Trilogy Junior Member

I do believe it is the choke. I talked to the prior owner and found he had installed a manuel choke because of issues with it.

5. Trilogy

Trilogy Junior Member

P.S. I always hold the clutch until I know she will stay running.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The electric is like 3 screws holding it on and the pull off a couple of bolts. He went to alot of trouble to replace the system. When it's working right all you do is push the gas pedal to the floor let up and start.