1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 f 350 7.3 diesel....turbo????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kokomoscalls, Dec 4, 2004.

1. kokomoscalls

kokomoscalls Junior Member

i have an 84 f 350 7.3 diesel and was wondering if i should put a turbio charger on it and if so what all do i need to do to put one on it?

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Putting on a turbo is up to you. Will cost you around $2500 for the kit from Banks.

3. mike0955

mike0955 Junior Member

If its the original engine it is not a 7.3, it is a 6.9 unless someone changed it. I think the 7.3 came out in 87-88 maybe? Anyway, they make kits for that too, but I might be worried about reliability.
    Mike

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If it is stock it is a 6.9 and as long as boost is kept reasonable (10 to 12 PSI) the stock 6.9 will hold up fine

5. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

they put the 7.3 in the fords in 88.Is your 84 worth putting 3k into?

6. kokomoscalls

kokomoscalls Junior Member

it has a 7.3 in its about 2 years old i rebuilt it and put it in...it did have a 6.9 it blew up

7. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

too old .don't bother.use that extra money for a new toy or something .

8. Tarkus

If the truck is in good shape body wise too and you plan to run it for a while go ahead and boost it as it is cheaper than a new truck. I would still limit boost to 10 to 12 PSI though

9. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

i would have to agree with this truck is too old to put a bunch of money into it. we have a 88 f 250 gas job, and decided not to put any more money into it due to reliability and vehicles this old start nickel and dimen you to death.

10. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I would say do it but I like old iron. I can't see spending 40,000 on a truck to push around a little snow when a old one will do a fine job. I do have a 96' and a 00' but they are for going places not plowing. The turbo should help out your mileage a little while giving you a great increase in power. Just don't get to radical with the pressure so you don't give up any reliability.

11. Tarkus

Newer is not always better and you will lose more money on depreciasion on a new truck in just the first year than on the price of a turbo for a older one and it is a LOT easier and simpler to fix a old truck than a new one when it does break.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If the truck is in good shape, and you LIKE IT ENOUGH TO KEEP IT, go for it! What does age have to do with anything? You guys that worry about the truck's age are the same ones who read and believe the Kelly Blue Book! What its worth is up to the individual and the truck in question, not some dude sitting behind a desk somewhere across the country like the writers of that book!!

My '82 K35 just got a fuel injected 383 stroker!!! :eek: not worth it? My a$$ its not! They just don't build anything that beefy any more! And the next closest thing is worth around $65k. Screw that! My truck earns far more each year than anyone would pay for it, so why would I even consider replacing it? This guy's Ford may well be the same way.

The nickel-and-diming you refer to adds up to less than one monthly payment on a new truck.

That same way of thinking tells us that a #1 original '70 Chevelle 454SS is worth around $1000 or less--keep dreaming!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  13. Tarkus

Not to mention more expensive insurance rates on a newer one too adding to overall monthly costs as well.