1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 Dodge Ram w/ Western Plow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ChemicalAlli, Oct 31, 2007.

1. ChemicalAlli

ChemicalAlli Junior Member

Hello fellas

I am new to plowing or will be soon, as soon as i figure out if this truck is a good deal. I have been looking at an 84 dodge ram. this will be my first truck and i'm using it solely for plowing purposes and maybe a little hauling. i just want it to make it through the winter season and then i'll sell it. Anyway this truck was advertised in the local paper's classified section as this:

84 Dodge Ram w/ Western Plow in good condition. $2100

Two days later the priced dropped to $1700.

I still have to go out and look at it but what would you veterans think if you saw that in the paper? what i'm really asking is, would you rely on a 24 year old truck for the winter plowing maybe 15 residential contracts? i'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or advice. Much thanks.
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

3. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i've got 3 ol rat ass dodges i plow with. the newest is a 91 and a 88 ramcharger. to me it would be a little late as i would wanna run it threw the shop for brake /fuel lines and inspect everything, and get the whole powertrain and plow serviced. if you maintain and repair a 24 year old truck or 40 year old truck it will treat you fine. every year it seems when we get a nice blast of snow, say a foot or so, i see brand new trucks on the tow truck broke, that's usually caused by the moron driver though!! a new truck can break too. old trucks brake due to lack of or overlooked maintennance/repairs. any how look it over well to see how it looks, if it looks like everything is gonna need replaced, stay away your asking for trouble. that's my advice, and i've got a bunch of old wore out dodges. later, pete