1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

84 chev k-20

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by k-20 work horse, Aug 31, 2007.

1. k-20 work horse

k-20 work horse Member

the plow beast (hopefully)

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck. I just sold my 1987 K5 Blazer. That was some truck. Alot of power. Good luck with it
  3. New Heights

New Heights Senior Member

I cry when I see these old chevys, I miss my 81 k5 and 87 2500 wish I never sold them. Plow beast aint the word, in first gear they would pull a house down.
  4. Quality SR

Your right about that. Mine had i think 93,000 miles ( i don't remember) the body was in mint condition. I never really had it in 4 wheel drive. It pushed snow like there was nothing there. I would have kept it, but i didn't have the room. After i sold it, my step brother said i could have kept it at his shop. :angry: . So i am in the process of getting another truck. LOL
  5. k-20 work horse

k-20 work horse Member

crazy power

i just grabbed this truck for 400 bucks, its a very solid truck that runs great. Its a 84 350 k 20
    carburated 4 speed. Its tows that 3 ton boat like nothing. i gave it a full tune up todayminus rebuilding the carb which im doing tommorow and an true flowmaster 60 dual exhaust in the near future, along with bodywork and paint
  6. New Heights

Great trucks, easy to get parts and easy to work on. I rember climbing rite into the engin comartment and having plenty of room to work on them.
  7. Quality SR

Ya. You can sit right on the wheel well and do the work from right in side. They were also built like tanks. Now a days everything is plastic and light weight steel.
  8. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I was just thinking this morning how i wish i didnt get rid of my 86 K20 it had the 6.2L diesel. it was my first plow truck and damn everytime i plowed something broke haha so i got pissed and got rid of it. Now that i think about it i wish i kept it and rebuilt it and just kept it for a fun rig.
  9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Amazing truck for the price. There is a guy at the end of my road that has an '85ish GMC that is in good shape with a plow. 95% rust free, but he wants $2500 for it! My grandfather has a '87 2wd. He has owned since new. 120,000 miles and all he has done is change the battery (two years ago). It sits outside all winter in Maine and starts on the first try every spring.
  10. New Heights

here are some pics of the before and after on my 87 gmc2500.

Picture 291.jpg

Picture 324.jpg
  11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

These old solid axle chevy's are the best truck GM ever built, simple in design with strong drivetrains made these trucks hard to kill and they look great when built up.

I'll never let mine go:)
  12. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

The factory GM 1/2 ton axles arn't the greatest, but a axle swap from a 3/4 ton truck is fairly cheap, and basically a bolt in. That 14 bolt FF rear axle is one of the strongest out there in my honest opinion.
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The 14bolt ff is used by a lot of rock crawlers and other offroad guys because it is a common axle and very strong.
  14. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

Yeah I just bought a 89 GMC 2500 that came with a 71/2 western on both truck and plow were in great shape truck has like 175,000 mile on it but the thing is a beast runs great 85% rust free for right now. I'm working on that project to be completly rust free by oct. Nothing like these older style trucks now plus the older ones are so easy to work on.
    Brian Porter
    Reliable Snow Removal
  15. k-20 work horse

k-20 work horse Member

my truck is a 3/4 ton......no?
  16. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

K20 is a 3/4 ton. I was just making a comment about the solid axle GM trucks. I plow with a full size Blazer and it has the 1/2 ton axles. If I could talk the boss into it, I'd swap a set of 1 tons under it. Only thing, the Dana 60 front axle used on the one tons is far from cheap. So 3/4 ton swap into a 1/2 ton truck is a attractive alturnitive. I guess the off roader in me shows through sometimes. We're (the boss and I) are look at another 89 K5 Blazer. Found one with a good body but no engine, transmission, transfer case, and a few other minor parts missing. We've got a mid/late 80's Chevy K20 that runs good, but the body is completely shot. Rusted so bad that you have too use a bungy cord too hold the doors shut. If we can get that 89 K5, I'll swap the power train from the old rust bomb into it and we'll have another plow truck. Love the short wheel base for plowing, great turning radius. Gets in tight spots that the other trucks can't.
  17. Omaha Plowboy

Omaha Plowboy Member

Yes sir. I was into off roading big time when I lived up in the black hills of South Dakota. Learned all about how too build a solid axle GM truck. Only the strongest axles survived up there.
  18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

New Heights.... what's the story on that Dodge dump with a Fisher plow? I don't see it in the second picture -- has it sold?

I'm pondering what looks to be a late 70's early 80's Chevy/GMC pickup with a conventional Fisher, and what has caught my attention is how ugly is looks on the outside. I figure if it's just cosmetic, I might go for it & put a little money into light bodywork/paint. I'll give more info when I know more (ie: year, price)
  19. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I've been searching all summer for a matching set of 3/4 ton axles for my 85 K10, but have found nothing, I even placed ads for a set and not one call. You would think with the high number of these trucks that are out there, it would have been an easy find.:(
  20. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

DROOL!!!....cant' beat that thing!!! nice buy!