1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'84 c-10 4.1L to 305cid swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Roadrunner, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Junior Member

I am swapping in a 305 in place of my old and tired 4.1L engine. I'm pretty sure everything will bolt right up and I'm going to use the HEI dist. Has anyone done this swap that can tell me what kind of wiring issues (i.e. wire length or otherwise) I am going to encounter. (The 305 is from an '87 Blazer an going into an '84 C-10)

2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Unless you're planning on using an aftermarket intake and exhaust you're going to run into a lot of issues, as the 87 motor is fuel injected, and the 6 is obvioulsy not. I think that would be your best bet, using an aftermarket intake and carb, so long as emissions aren't a problem there. You'll also of course need different engine mounts, and exhaust manifolds, or headers. As far as the distributor, I'd get an HEI without the electronic spark control, then you only have to hook one wire up to it. Good luck.

Marcus

3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Sure its a 4.1? If it is, that's a Buick motor and it probably wont match up w/o swapping trannys and mounts. If its a 4.3 (Chevy) the block is identical to the 305 except for two less cylinders and it shouldnt be any problem except for exhaust stuff.

4. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Didn't chevy make an old 4.1 inline six for the trucks up until 85???

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

The V6's all used metric (3.8, 4.1, 4.3) nomenclature, the straight 6's all used English (250, 292) id so I assumed the truck has a V6.

If its equipped with the straight 6 it still should be no problem except for exhaust and new mounts.

6. Roadrunner

Roadrunner Junior Member

It is a 4.1L inline 6 GM motor. Thanks for your replies, you guys are great.