1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'83 Suburban Transmission Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wally3128, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Wally3128

Wally3128 Junior Member

Buba's '83 Suburban, 350 engine, lost 2nd and 3rd gear ??? Clear out of the blue. No sliding in and out...just 1st, n, and R. When you think it should it should shift...it don't. I think it may be a vaccum or the modulator.

Where is the vaccum line attach to the transmission and where does it go to???

The idiot that had the vehicle pulled and plugged most of the vaccum lines!

Thanks for your help in advance...You guys have never let me down!!!

Wally

2. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

The modulator vaccum line goes from the right side of the transmission up to the intake manifold. It's a metal tube with rubber junctions on the ends. My trans acted similarly to yours for about an hour this morning, then completely died. Got it to the shop, pump and converter are toast but the clutches and planets were OK. Should be back on the road tomorrow:D

3. crete5245

crete5245 Member

First what tranny. some of the 2wd had 700r4, others either had a turbo 350 or 400. In the later case the vacuum modulator would cause it not to shift until very high speeds.. If it is the 700, it might never shift.. the 700 has a cable that runs to the carb, TBI throttle linkage, make sure that did not break or come lose... It has a critcial adjustment to make them shift correctly.