1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'83 suburban. not changing gears

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by tubaskoot, Nov 1, 2005.

1. tubaskoot

tubaskoot Junior Member

i have an 83 suburban 1/2ton automatic that will go to second gear then just run high rpm's and not shift. i topped off the transmission fluid and it did not help. please help this is my only hunting vehicle and my pop would be ticked if i used the lumina.

2. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

83 suburban

Tell me is it a Gmc, anyway, I had one that did the same things after I had the mechanic work on replacing the intake manifold, their was a vacumn hose down by the bell housing he had forgotten to hook back up..wouldn't shift into high, anyway maybe thats your problem

1990 GMC 3/4 Ton/Western 2004 7.5' Pro Plus-w-wings

3. tubaskoot

tubaskoot Junior Member

yes it is a gmc. i feel absolutly horrible. where are the vaccum hoses, my mechanical knowledge is little/none. i am just trying to get my baby working. deer season opens this weekend.

4. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

the vacume line runs up the top of the bell housing and is a steel line when it reaches the back of the intake manifold it is a rubber hose. that plugs in to a vacume tree on the back of the intake. if there is no open hols on this tree then the hose may be unpluged on the tranny. when you crawl under the truck look on the back or the pass side(depending on 350 or 400)there should be a hose pluged into the vacume servo. on my truck '78 my tranny is electric. there is a slide switch on the throttle pedel bracket under the dash. this may need adjusting. hope this helps.

5. genrock

genrock Member

Definately sounds like a vaccum hose to me.

6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Vacuum modulator a possibility too.