1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

83 f250 won't start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bounty21, Sep 23, 2006.

1. bounty21

bounty21 Member

anyone have any ideas on this i replaced the coil the module and the rotor still nothing anyone think of any thing else it's getten gas i smell it but no spark to the coil

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Sure the coil is OK? I have had 2 fried in 16 years.Check all the wires to it too.
    The distripiter caps seem to last 2 years or so and they die.
    There should be a check out procedure useing a VOM to see if it's fried ( coil ).
    Also did you have it ( modual ) checked before you left the store? I have got 2 bad ones right out of the box, One even ran the engine for 15 minutes till it died.
    I have them test it before I even buy them.
    AutoZone / Advance can do it for you.
    There are check out procedures for the ignition circuits too in the book.

3. bounty21

bounty21 Member

thanks did all that in the last week or so replaced everything and it acks up one day it will start and the next it won't tommorrow i'm gonna chase down the wires and cut out the fuseable links and see if it gets any better

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you have not done it yet. Check all the grounds, there are many, battery to frame, engine to frame, battery to engine, wire harness to engine. Bad grounds will feed back through other grounds and cause other system problems.
    Look for green powder on all the wires. A lot of times this is the only clue that the wire is corroded inside.
    Put dielectric grease on all the connections to keep out water and crude.
    Might look at the ignition switch too. They can cause problems between the run / start circuits when they start to wear out.