1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

83 chevy idling fast/almost dying

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Sep 24, 2004.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Hello, I would really appreciate some help with this problem. Ok, well, I have a 1983 chevy k10 pickup with either a 350 or a 305, with headers. Before I start it, I depress the gas pedal a bit, then ingage the clutch and pump the choke. The problem is, when I go to start it, it idles very fast (between 1500-1800 rpm). Once, it was even at 2000 rpm. I give it a little kick of gas, which brings down the idle a tad bit maybe 100 rpm, but it still is like the gas pedal is down. What could this be, and how can I fix it. I don't think it is because the gas pedal is stuck as I have lifted up with my foot. Could it be a vaccum seal in the carb? If so, where is this located? Also, either a related or separate problem is that when I am at either a dead stop or rolling slowly in first gear and I try to get moving, the truck almost dies...and I mean comes really close to stalling. I don't think that it is because I am letting up on the clutch too soon because it was never this bad. Also, when going down the street, it makes an almost wheezing noise when just traveling without any gas. Thanks for the help.

2. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

Here's my ideas...

Sounds like a vacuum leak or maybe a dead accelerator pump problem. If you still have the Rochester Quadrajet, the 1/4" thick paper gasket could be burned through causing faster idle and rough running. A dead acc. pump would cause a hesitation when you press on the pedal. One could test for this by looking into the carb (with eng. off!) and twisting the throttle. You should see two streams of fuel emit from the center. You will need a flashlight. The vacum leak is detectable with a rubber hose, like a stethoscope. Or spray WD40 at the suspect area, RPM would very greatly. Good Luck
  3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Sounds like you have choke problems. Your truck should have an electric choke, Pushing you gas pedal all the way to the floor allows the choke to close. Pumping the pedal just pumps raw fuel into the intake. This should not need to be done unless it has been sitting for a long while.
    Your choke linkage will also open your throttle slightly to raise rpms until the engine warms up. If it out of adjustment it can cause the engine to race...
  4. iceracer

iceracer Junior Member
    from midwest

I had the Q-jet secondaries stick open on me one time with an old monte carlo. car was really scarey at a stop light! All it took to fix was carb cleaner and a screw driver to work the kickdown mechanism till it was clean. :)
  5. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

need some follow up help

Hello again, I looked at the engine today, and when removing the air filter, I flipped the carb open and closed and followed it back to the moving part. I noticed that some kind of lever (which was moving when opening and closing the carb) had some sticky residue on it. When I flipped it back and forth, it stuck a bit, could this be the problem? What is this lever, the choke or the throttle? Will cleaning it with carb cleaner solve the problem? Thanks.

6. crashz

crashz Senior Member

That lever actuates the accelerator pump. Could be all gummed up. I would go to your local bookstore, pick up a book on rebuilding carbs, and learn to rebuild it yourself. The Q jet is a great carb, but takes some finess to get it running right.
  7. 83chevy

83chevy Junior Member

Could you send me some pictures of your setup to Drew.A.Green@gmail.com

I have a 1983 and just bought an old myers plow and hope you can help me out with the instalation.