1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

83 1 Ton transfer case update

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by farmertim, Jan 26, 2004.

1. farmertim

farmertim Member

:waving:
    Hi all....

I need to know what are the possibilities of updating the transfer case in a 83 Chevy 1 ton to a new version transfer case.
    Mine is a turbo 400 trans on the original 6.2 diesel.
    The truck only has 125,000 and is in good shape.
    Engine and trans is good but the transfer case is the old heavy one with about 1/4 inch movement between low, 2 wheel drive and high.
    It never stays in low when backing up in 4x4 and now pops out of low going forward mostly while in a turn.
    I would like to update to a newer model transfer, even a newer non overdrive trans if nesessary.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated..
    Thanks
    Farmer Tim

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I wouldnt update to a newer design. A th400 is pretty much one of the toughest auto tranies in stock form ever for light PU's And I assume you have a 205 transfer case? Its a parttime case right? Pretty much the ultimate in beef also. Even a fulltime case(the 203) is a very stout unit. Sounds like it just needs a rebuild since its got some miles on it. Or the linkage aint adjusted right(definatly check that)......

3. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

also check the trans mount if its weak you will get movement and it could cause the shifter to pop into a different gear

4. 68bullit

68bullit Member

you should have either the np205(ultimate beef)or the np208(all aluminum) case

sounds like the shift forks are worn out as it pops out of gear.

if the np208 i may consdier swapping to the np205 for strength but if the 205 already id rebuild it.

5. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

If it's a K30 it should have a NP205! Most guys would Kill for that.Get it Fixed!