1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8'2'' V XT or 9'2'' V XT

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hemipower5.7, Jan 19, 2011.

1. hemipower5.7

hemipower5.7 Member

Currently im plowing with an 8'6'' fisher on my other truck... i dont like it too much im looking to put a boss V XT on my dodge 2500 but im up in the air on weather to buy a 8'2'' of the 9'2''. I guess my question is does anyone have a problem with the larger blade fitting in driveways ect. i have a few large accounts that the 9'2'' would be great... any thoughts?

2. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

9' 2". Remember, a 9' 2" is 8' 3" in scoop. or 8' 5" in Vee.

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

even on my narrowest drives the 9.2 works just fine, if need be windrow it to either side or v/scoop like pinky said.

the 9.2 is also great b/c it gives you that extra reach around curved driveways which means less maneuvering.

i wont ever buy anything smaller than a 9.2 anymore. we run 3 9.2 and 1 8.2 thats a backup and a blizzard 810

4. hemipower5.7

hemipower5.7 Member

thanks alot guys im gonna go with the 9'2'' for sure

5. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Buying new or used?
    Dealer install or installing yourself?
    Just curious on your choice of dealer

6. hemipower5.7

hemipower5.7 Member

buying new, my neighbor and i are installing it im saving about $1000 from full install at the dealer

7. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Your going to love it,got mine new in Dec. i've got about 85-90 hrs. on it now and iit's a true work horse.Put a snow deflector on it or you'll be disappointed, it really throws snow on the windshield, you wont be able to plow more than 10-15 mph with a head wind.

8. cjreed79

cjreed79 Junior Member

I have a dodge 2500, I went with the 8'2" but I plan on getting the wings from boss as well. I guess they are suspost to give you an extra 22". I just figured that would make it more versatile, 8' for the small stuff and 10' for the big lots. I absolutley love the boss system though! Good Stuff

9. hemipower5.7

hemipower5.7 Member

no one has had problems pushing heavy snow with the extra foot of plow? someone is trying to talk me out of the larger plow saying i cant put a 9 footer on my truck.. i have seen alot of people on here with the 9'2'' on a 2500 hemi i really dont think it will be an issue

10. zjm

zjm Senior Member

The Boss poly vxt 9-2 weighs about 950 with mount,steel in same plow is about 900.
    Whats the weight of your current fisher set up.
    I dont think youd have a problem as long as put some balast behind wheels.I use about 1000lbs and plow mostly in 2 wd on flat roads,in hills 4wd with tow/haul on.
    Give more specs of your truck,reg cab/quad cab. long or short bed? If guys are hanging those expandable plows on their 3/4 ton p/u's witch weigh about 1000lbs i believe you could also but you might have to do some front end suspension mods.There's a few options with that also that would benefit the truck.My truck handles my 9-2 vxt just fine,no suspension mods and it helps that i'm the one plowing with it.Go for it!

11. hemipower5.7

hemipower5.7 Member

2004, 2500 4x4 5.7L i have a set of air bags in the rear a 2 inch leveling kit up front with 35's its a regular cab long bed... the tires are wider than that on my other truck therefore putting them partially in the snow if i had the 8'2''. The funny thing is the guy trying to tell me buy fisher is the fisher 8'6 V weights 70 lbs more than the boss 9'2. Im pretty sure ill be alright i just wanted to bounce it off you guys

12. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

i dont mean to steal your thread but i just had my boss dealer tell me that i couldn't hang a 9'2" VXT (steel) on my chevy 2500HD. i have air over shock bilstens, cognito upper control arms, tie rod sleeves and welded gussets on the frame. any truth to this statment?

13. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Ummm....we run 9'2" on crew cab diesel, extended cab diesel and standard cab diesel....oh yeah 2500hd Chevy's. No issues, crank t-bars, get alignment get extra 1' of plow you'll be glad you did.

14. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

thanks for the info. i just dont get why the dealer would try and talk me out of spending more money. i feel like i did my homework and upgraded the crap out of my front end so i dont see why its a big deal. he was trying to tell me 8'2" with wings and i think that might be heavier than a 9'2"

15. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

they are covering their arses. if the 9.2 puts your fagwr over the rating then it could be their problem if you get into an accident or something breaks.

16. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

makes sense but it seems like everyone is doing it. so no one sees any issues?

17. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

No issues, just have to find a dealer that is willing to install or do it yourself.

18. cdahl1177

cdahl1177 Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

The dealer is willing to do it for he just gave me crap for a while. My buddy buys a few plows a year from him and just told me rhey are chevy haters. At the end of the day they seem to be a stand up dealer and stand behind everything so I don't mind shopping there. Just wanted to cover my bases.