1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8'2" V Problems Or Normal???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by millsaps118, Dec 7, 2006.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I have a 2006 8'2" V plow w/hand held controller and no lockers. I have 3 concerns with this plow. 1) When I have the blade on the ground and try to go from the scoop position all the way back to the wedge it stops when its straight, then I have to individually press LF wing / RT wing to get it to wedge. When its up in the air it will go from scoop to wedge w/o stoping. Is this normal on the new V's? 2) Another thing I noticed when I double tap to go up it will raise 2/3 of the way and stop, then I have to hold down the up button to get it to fully raise. 3) Some times when I go to raise up from off the ground I can hear my pump going but it takes about 5 seconds before any thing happens, this is only when I want to go up. Are some of these things normal or do I need to bring this back to the dealer. Should I try to adjust the speed control valve? Any advise would be great!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  2. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Well for one I have the same plow as you. Two, yes the plow does raise up to about 7/8th when I double tap on the travel mode. Personally I don't really mind that because it avoids that banging when you bring it all the way up. However it would seem you might have some air pocket issues maybe, not sure. As for the scoop to wedge, I would assume, (thus I have smart locks on) that you are having too much resistence when on the ground and slidding the wings back and forth. Does this still happen when its off the pavement? If not, then the pavement is creating resistence.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Everything sounds about right except, like said above, you might have some air in the cylinders because you should not hear the pump if it's not doing something! JMO :)

4. millsaps118

Is there a way to bleed out the air?

5. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Check that the fluid level is ok! The air should work out of the system itself if ther is any.

6. millsaps118

The fluid level is right on. Another thing I noticed is when I drop the plow, sometimes it will come down hard (fast) and other times it will fall slow. Most of the time it falls slow. You think this is related to the pump going and not moving the blade for a few seconds or should I try to adjust the speed?

7. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

Speed drop

Adjust the speed after you check out some things. First, observe the height of the plow when dropping. Just like when raising the plow it might also be doing the 7/8 drop and not dropping fast. If you find that when fully raised it does drop at the same speed, even when the blade is raised 3/4 then adjust the valve turning counterclockwise to increase speed.

8. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Pump running when blade is dropping???? Did I read that right. I have 9'2" power V and it drops by gravity not the pump!

9. millsaps118

BobC...Pump running when raising. It pumps for a few seconds then kicks in and lifts the plow up. I have a inconsistant drop speed when I go to drop the plow on the ground. Could these 2 symptoms be effecting each other?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  10. BobC

BobC Senior Member

The only thing that I can think of is doing the drop rate adjustment that was mentioned earlier. Remember on lift the pump needs a second to build pressure because you released pressure to lower the plow.

11. millsaps118

Sometimes it takes a second or two and other times it like 5 - 6 seconds. I was just messing around w/it the other day and when the blade is on the ground I can't get it into the wedge position unless I'm moving forward. The wings want to go but it reaches a point where they just stop, so if I drive forward they fold back. Maybe to much resistance or ground contact? Not enough hydraulic pressure? Normal?

12. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Delay in raising:
    While I don't own a Boss, I've seen them run plenty of times and their really should be very little delay when commanding any type of blade movement. This is especially true when raising the plow because Boss uses a direct cylinder lift system. On other brands, like my Fisher, my blade will not raise until after the slack in the lift chain is taken up by the lift arm.

Baring any electrical issues related to the operation of the lift cylinder cartridge valves, I'd have to agree with others and say that you may have some air in the system. To get it out, cycle the plow through all of its movements (raise, lower, scoop, vee, extend right/left, etc.) numerous times and that should work the air out.

Inconsistent lowering/drop rate:
    IMO....if the rate at which the plow drops is not consistent, it is not the blade drop speed adjustment valve. My guesses would be air in the system; a bent lift ram; some type of minor binding where the A-frame and headgear meet (i.e. the pins) or a problem with the controller. But I could be wrong.

Wing movement issue:
    Sounds like their is too much resistance via ground contact. Remember that the wings don't use hydraulic power to retract, just return springs. When you hit the "retract" button, 12 volts is a applied to the cartridge valve, opening the valve. When the hydraulic valve opens, the pressure within the cylinder body is released and the return spring pulls the wing back towards the truck. As the wing pivots back toward the truck, the cylinder collapses and forces hydraulic fluid out of the cylinder body. This fluid exits the ram and travels back to the reservoir via the hose and manifold.

IMHO, the plow is brand new and came with a 2-year warranty. I say mount it to the truck and take back to the dealer. Good luck.

13. millsaps118

Rtmo38-- Great info and advice. I didn't know a whole lot about these multi position blades since this is my first V. I've got nothing but time right now so I think I'm gonna have to bring it in on Monday.

14. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Sounds good....best of luck to ya. I'm a Fisher-man through and through, but if Boss would just make a trip-edge V, my 9' X-blade would be listed in the for sale section:). Enjoy the new plow!