1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

***8'2" V motor problems??***

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ultra Duty, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

So I know oneoldsap has a thread w/ a similar problem. I have a 08 year blade and end of last season motor sounded like it was struggling to lift all of the way and sounded weak. Serviced it this fall, filters clean no visible problems and good electrical connections. used it for the first time plowing today and same thing when i lift it is really struggling. if i take it out to scoop position in the air it moves fine until it gets close to full scoop and makes the same motor noise like its working HARD. did the same thing on two different trucks. Does boss have a know issue with this year motors?? kind of pissed as all i run is Boss and my first 7'6" 1999 Super Duty straight has the OE motor on it with LOTS of hours on it.

Any insight is much appreciated!

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

You say you serviced the motor. Did you take off the endcap and clean it out, inspect the brushes?

3. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

No, sorry what i meant was that i pulled the pump side off and cleaned the screen and changed the fluid, didn't take apart the electric motor.

4. jklawn&Plow

I used a motor up in 2.5 yrs brushes were worn way down. I think the Haldex power unit motor had a lot of force on the brushes to limit the voltage drop. All that dust in the motor creates shorts to the case ground and other ground paths around the brush holder. If you clean it out and adjust the brush springs- bend them so they regain some force you could use it a little while longer but it would be better to use as a backup and get a new motor. You can get brushes at Western motors to rebuild it also.

5. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

Thanks for the imput. I am going to call Boss, just disappointed that I have to deal with this.. Let you know what they say

6. jklawn&Plow

Check your fluid level if it only happens going to full scoop.

7. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

it's good, talked to Boss, they said its likely that 1 or all of the brushes sticking and they stated they have seen that a "few" times in the 08-09 motors. The newer motors have stainless brushes to prevent corrosion.

8. jklawn&Plow

Its possible that the rotor the brushes rests against has a corrosion issue but all brushes are graphite.
    My rotor was copper as I suspect all are. Stainless to me should have been answered as "I don't know". If you open it up you can tell. Mine never stuck just wore down so far the spring tension became minimal and the dust. I suspect there is no sticking problemo.

9. bigrichslc

bigrichslc Junior Member

We have found that the straight blade motors always last longer. The V plow motors are working so much more, especially when stacking snow and coming out of the pile with an extra 500 lbs on it. The new motors have been an awesome upgrade to Boss.

10. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

Had the motor rebuilt for $70 w/ a 1 year warranty. will let you know when it's installed. they said the brushes were completely worn out! Still surprised based on the hours on the blade. still has the first set of cutting edges on it!

11. jklawn&Plow

I hear ya, but if the new motors have less force they might have more cycle times. I'd expect your rebuild to last about as long as the last time so I'd get a spare part if your customers expect reliablity before its ready for rebuild again.

12. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

this is my spare blade, couldn't agree more, need to have the back of back ups in this business.

13. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

New rebuilt motor is in and runs on operates perfectly!

14. jklawn&Plow

That a good price for that repair. My 7.6STD motor (2.5yrs) lasted nearly as long as the cutting edge (3yrs-had about an 1.5"left on the ends so replaced it so bagdrag looked cleaner.)
    It beats payin $250 for a new motor for a backup.