1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8'2" Power V on 07 Ram light issues

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Shoreline, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

I'm running a Power V on a 2007 Dodge Ram. The truck side wiring for the plow came off a 99 SuperDuty. I bought the headlight adapters when I moved the wiring over to this truck. The lights on the truck itself are operated individually through a computer. The Boss wiring harness splices both lights into one wire when switched to plow lights. The computer on the truck now sees that current draw is out of spec for the lights and shuts down my low beams. When this first happened, all I needed to do was shut the truck down and restart and I was good to go. This only worked for so long until the computer decided to shut the lights down for good. So, I have a truck and plow with no headlights whatsoever. I can have the computer reflashed and the lights will work again, but who knows for how long. This doesn't fix the problem. Surely someone else has run into this before now. Any help is greatly appreciated. Call if you have information or send me your number and I'll call you.
    John 519-466-7569

2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Be careful. The TIPM box (smart fuse box) in these trucks is expensive. I haven't had a problem with my 04, nor either of our new ('13, '14) trucks but those were dealer installs.

My advice would be to call and talk to your dealer and set it up as they say, or take the truck to them.

3. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

Just posted this for someone else, same problem
    You will need to wire in a relay so the truck headlights are turning on the relay not the lights. We had to do them to all our 08 fords for the same reason.
    Email me at work and i will send you the picture of how to wire it up.
    rtobias@njtransit.com

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Or you could call the Boss Tech line and talk to a factory pro. They've never steered me wrong.

5. STAC99

STAC99 Junior Member

Is it a 11 pin or 13 pin? I'm guessing 11. I had the same problem with a new truck before. They were the same make and model just a few years newer. I switched the harness to the 13 pin and problem was solved.

6. dwmaster

dwmaster Junior Member

Put the original back the way they were and Just wire the lights independently with a key powered relay or relays which ever you prefer.

7. dwmaster

dwmaster Junior Member

Pretty good chance your buying a computer if you don't on that era dodge.

8. YorkTrailers

YorkTrailers Junior Member

I just had this same problem on a 2006 Ram that we installed this year. After speaking with the guys at techline we sent the truck to the dealer and had them update and check the TIPM and CCN. This seems to have solved the problem. I will tell you that Dodges are quirky with this. I diagnosed the hell out of the thing before finding that the updates would solve the problem. It does not need to be a lighting specific update however, just make sure programming is the most up to date is what I asked them to do.

9. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

Ok, time for an update. I have been in touch with Boss tech support and I was also able to talk to a mechanic at a local Dodge dealership and showed him the wiring schematic for the plow. Boss tech support said get the TIPM flashed and this should solve your problem. Not so. Dodge mechanic looked at the wiring diagram and noticed some big issues with it right away. Basically the left and right headlights (low and high beam) are run into one wire for low and one wire for high. I isolated the passenger side high and low beam feeds to the plow and added two relays to the relay pack. I now have 7 relays instead of 5 and ran the wires to the passenger side lights on the plow. After I did this, I went back to Dodge and had them reflash the TIPM. So far so good, I want to stop in there again and just have them check for any new codes in the TIPM. When there are codes set in the TIPM, they don't display anywhere so there's no way of knowing if they've been tripped until something gets shut down or you go and have them checked.

This is a common issue with 06-10 Dodge trucks. In 2011 Dodge finally smartened up and upgraded the electrical system to something that can actually handle some extra load. All this to say, from my experience with the truck and talking with Boss tech support, they don't know JACK when it comes to this issue on these trucks. I am more than willing to help anyone else that is having this issue walk through the repair.

10. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I had 2 TIPMs replaced under warranty because of this issue with my '06.
    Seen countless mentions here about others having the same problem but this is the first time I've seen a fix offered ... good job!
    This is the 3rd season with the '12 and the only problem so far is the drls shutting off at times ... a restart turns them back on so far. Plenty of guys having this problem with '12s and a Boss. Amazing they can't work together to handle stuff like this ... there's plenty they could make better and easier for us plow guys if they cared. Instead of stupid tire pressure sensors and all the other silly gadgets poured into "work" trucks today, the bureaucrats could maybe mandate lights that work, a dedicated plug & play power source, wires pre-run for mandatory beacons, etc. LOL ...