1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

82" or ?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by sdycke, Oct 6, 2009.

1. sdycke

sdycke Junior Member

Hi There
    Which Snowbear plow would work best on my 2000 silverado? 1500 4x4. reg cab. long box. 4.3 (V6) with 5 spd standard trans. I have three choices my supplier carries, 82, 84 box style or 88". Can it handle the longer plow or should I stick with the shorter one. I have about 400' of driveway to plow. Mostly dry snow. rarely heavy dumps but can happen. Gravel driveway. Your two bits is worth a fortune to me and support our/your troops. Stan.
  2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

What's the reason you're considering Snow Bear? I know they're a cheaper option than many other plows but keep in mind you get what you pay for.

Aside from that, you're truck can easily handle the 88" plow. Don't even think twice about going with anything smaller.
  3. sdycke

sdycke Junior Member

Thanks alot. Snowbear is the only product Canadian Tire (a national chain) carries and the only manufacturer that i've seen anything about around here. Perhaps I need to do alot more digging but they dont seem TOO bad for the $. Canadians generally have to suffer through the 'take what you can get' syndrome alot. So my little 4.6 will do OK with the 88" blade?
  4. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

I think your v6 will do ok with a western midweight, a fisher sd, or a snow dogg md just fine.

They have full incab controls. The snow bear makes you change the angle from outside.
  5. champlainl

champlainl Member

If its a cost issue SB will work fine, just put one on my 04 f150 used it the other day 7 inches of that wet heavy stuff and I was shocked how well it did. My plow is 10 years old with upgraded 1/2" thick cutter, did 4 driveways in less than 20 minutes. Plan your angles and you won;t be disappointed.
    I bought mine so I didn't beat the crap out of my truck, Put a set of timbrens on the front also.
    Good luck
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If your going to get a Snowbear (wich I don't recomend) get the 88" plow.
  7. sdycke

sdycke Junior Member

oh no

Thanks for all your help. In the end I did not get a plow as my 4.3 all of a sudden developed a troubling rod knock. perhaps it just was afraid of doing any serious work. I swear the early new style gm trucks have got to be the worst in human history.
  8. champlainl

champlainl Member

thats sucks

Get a f150 old body style, set of snows and a snowbear,you won't be disappointed,had many chevys and many problems