1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8'2" or 9'2" Boss V Plow? (with wings)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jbell36, Feb 20, 2013.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

trying to figure out what size to get if we were to get a new V plow with wings...i am thinking 8'2" would be plenty big with wings but wanted to see what others think...

2. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

What truck do you have?
    Without knowing that, no one can tell you if its too big or not..

3. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

What are your jobs - driveways or parking lots?

4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

2008 f-250 super duty, 6.4 diesel...mostly parking lots...will do some driveways but prob not many with the plow, that will be mostly done with the tractor

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

An 9'2'' with wings would be good for lots with smaller snows, as 11' of plow is a lot for larger storms

6. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Bigger is always better

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what she said.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm giving serious thought to going to a 9.2V for next season, I'm on the fence when it come to a V or a VXT. We do get the occasional 2-3 foot storm along with drifts. It's my understanding the VXT does throw snow further than the V (at the same ground speed) but by how much?

9. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

If your gonna spend that much anyways I'd go with the vxt

10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

The dxt might be available for smaller sizes by next plowing season I heard.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm hoping for the DXT to be available, I like the idea of a trip edge when in V or Scoop mode.

12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Go for the V-XT vs the standard flat top V - there not that much more $.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Ok, I'm clueless when it comes to Boss. Whats the difference between a DXT, VXT, and Standard V?

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Easiest thing to do is go on their website. The DXT is a big ass plow. The VXT is highter on the outside then the middle, this allows you to throw the snow both higher and farther.

There might not be much price difference between the VXT and the V but there is a weight difference. So if your already pushing your front end weight you might want to thing about the VXT.

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I'll have to go in and talk to the dealership here. Just got pricing today for a Boss plow.

Brand new I'd assume standard V since I had no idea there were others, 9' 2" steel V without mount is $5300, mount is another 575, includes install.

8' straight blade, 4600

8.5' straight blade, 4800.

Who in their right mind would pay that much for a straight blade when for a measely 500 more you get a V?

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Once you have a V or a wideout type you will never go back to a straight blade.

17. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Bert's is good to work with, and they are good guys. Price seems pretty much ballpark. If you can get a VXT for only a couple hundred more (which I'm sure you can), then go for it. With the drifts we get it's very nice having the VXT, they just work that much nicer. Also get them to throw in a FREE rubber flap. They always offer it for free if you buy in the summer, and you shouldn't need to twist their arm very hard to get them to throw it in on the deal.

18. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I thought they seemed pretty decent just talking to them. I'm leaning a bit toward a hiniker C plow though since i'm doing residential for now, but at the same time, Bert's is close, and has been there, the Hiniker and Western dealers in town are new.

That reminds me, is there a Hiniker or western dealer in Fargo/Moorhead?

19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Northern Truck Equipment is the Western dealer. They might be the Hiniker dealer as well, but I'm not sure.

20. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thanks, I'll look them up. Rydells is the western "dealer" if I dare call them that. For a cutting edge for a 8.5 straight blade from them will cost $180, then $200 freight shipping, and another $150 to install it. Ridiculous.