1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

82 Chevy plow truck - transfer case problem ??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by redvetracr, Mar 12, 2003.

1. redvetracr

redvetracr Junior Member
    from WI

Chevy plow truck ??

NOT a direct "plowing" question BUT can anyone tell me if my 82 Chevy 1/2 ton plow truck will move in 2wd if the chain in the transfer case is broken??? Obviously my truck will not move in 4wd and I am (attempting) to diagnose the problem. THANKS in advance!!
    ...redvetracr :confused:

PS: If anyone has changed a chain, could you please tell me how much of a "job" it is??
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2003
  2. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

I really dont think it will. I believe the chain connects the input shaft to the output shaft and there are shift forks that move gears back and forth to engage the front output shaft.
  3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Move to chevy forum for more responses
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

The truck should still have 2WD,without the chain,unless the damaged chain binds something up inside the case.

I wouldn't risk it,the bits and pieces may ruin the entire case,making it unrepairable.

It's not to hard to repair.The case must come out,and then you split the halves and replace the chain.If you don't have much mechanical experience,take it to a qualified shop.
  5. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

I don't know if this helps, but I blew the transfer case in my Jeep and I can run 2x4 but no 4x4.