1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8'2" Boss lost all power/control

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by greywynd, Jan 16, 2011.

1. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Hi everyone,

Running an '07 Chev yesterday with an 8'2" Boss V plow, went to move the right wing from retract to forward while plowing, and it wouldn't move. Went a little farther, and went to lift plow, and nothing. I had thought maybe the wing was due to to much snow, but the lift I knew wasn't. Fortunately I was cleaning up at the shop, so got it inside where it's warm.

There's no lights on the Smart touch (II I think actually?) but there appears to be power on the output side of the fuse, and also power on the one large terminal of the solenoid.

The headlights on the plow were still working, and the truck is fine otherwise, even the salter etc still work. Are there any more fuses on the plow itself or anything like that, or where should we start looking? The truck was purchased with the plow in the fall from a distance away, and the owner hasn't looked to see if/where the dealers are in the area yet either.
  2. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Did you try turning the controller off and back on?
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

First I would check to see if you might have a bad connection in your plow side harness---do some light twisting of it while someone tries to run the plow so you can get back a connection.If that doesn't do it,then pull your plastic cover off the pump area and check all your connections there.
  4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Try the main power connection black and red @ the truck bumper........typical boss issue.

there is a split pin inside it, take a small screw driver and gently pry them appart SLIGHTLY, you will get good contact with the (do both sides)
  5. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, turned the controller off and on a couple times. Shut the truck off and restarted it as well. Then I unplugged the connector for the plow and pump motor and reconnected them as well.

If there is a poor connection in the pump area, will these controllers 'sense' that and shut down? Unfortunately I'm now an hour away, and we unhooked the plow as we still needed the truck for salting last night, so it's no longer an easy to diagnose issue from this end!

I guess I'm basically looking for all the info I can get as if we can't figure it out in one solid attempt, it's likely load it up and off to a dealer.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

When you hit the up button or any button can you hear the a clicking sound under the hood? If not try touching a screw driver between the 2 large posts on the solenoid. That should make the pump motor run. If it doesn't have a friend hold a button on the controller and try it. If you get nothing, replace the solenoid. Also look under the pump cover and make sure the positive cable is hooked up and tight and also the ground is good. Double check that all connections are tight at the battery also. Get back to us after you try these suggestions and let me know.
  7. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Not sure wich terminals are what, but make sure you have power and ground at the controller plug.You may also have a bad controller, can you borrow one to try?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

If you go to bossplows.com and go to the service center icon. Go to wiring, and then go to RT3 smarthitch wiring there will be schematics on there of the wiring. I would try what I said in my first post first.
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The keypad on the controller should be backlit if it's receiving power and ground, and it and the ignition turned on of course.

If the plow lamps are still operational then the main harness fuse under the hood is fine.

Start with checking for power (black wire) and ground (brown wire) at the controller plug with a test light. If you have both, use the steps here to test the plow. If it works fine then the problem is with the controller.