1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8100PP Melting Solenoids

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by DIYhard, Mar 15, 2014.

1. DIYhard

DIYhard Junior Member

Hey Guys, It's been a year and a bit since you helped me trouble shoot my newest plow. At that time I replaced a module. Now that same plow is melting solenoids. I get about 12 hrs before the solenoid quits or one of the posts melt off. My driver also complains about slow raise speeds intermittently. I've serviced the S1 valve (as well as the S2 & S4) and don't seem to have any issues when testing the unit. However, with the plow off the truck the power wires to the solenoid get pretty warm when working the hitch up and down. Any Ideas? I have not eliminated the module yet as I don't have one to test with. Wondering if the motor could be at fault.

Thanks in advance.

2. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Sounds like a weak ground. If the connection is not good then the solenoid will start shifting back and forth constantly. I would guess if left unchecked that it would melt the solenoid. I would also suggest you replace the battery if it is more than a couple years old as low voltage from the battery has the same effect.

What solenoids are you installing? Trimbiatta intermittant use?

3. DIYhard

DIYhard Junior Member

Grounds were my first suspicion. Battery's are 3 mos old. I've used three replacement solenoids from blizzard and 2 from Meyers. I have the same Meyers solenoids on three other 810's. I've run a new ground from the battery to the solenoid and double checked the battery terminals.

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

Is it one of the large posts that melts off or a small one?

5. DIYhard

DIYhard Junior Member

Yes, large post.

6. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

If you dont have something loose , creating heat, maybe you should do an amp test and see what you motor is pulling for amps, shouldnt be getting that hot, and the plow action shouldnt be slowing down that much to be really noticeable either, think you got a vendor for your motors in ontario ELREG , maybe your motor is pooched and taking everything else out

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Most Meyer pumps only require 100amps, where a lot of other manufactures pumps can draw up to or more than 200amps. Get the factor solenoid or the trombetta. Also do the load test on the motor and check your bumper connections for corrosion.

8. bliz&hinikerDLR

Since it doesn't seem to burn off until the plow is used, and there is always power to that solenoid ... it makes sense that the motor would be the culprit. I guess if you are not experiencing any sort of "misbehavior" with the solenoid and you are sure that you have a good ground from motor to battery, replace the motor.

9. DIYhard

DIYhard Junior Member

Ok, so I've done some work in between snowfalls here, which are non stop this season!!! Replaced the Solenoid with one by Trombetta which is the factory replacement it turns out. Found a local supplier. (no blizzard rep within 3hrs of here). Factory solenoid is 100amp and they cannot source me one larger - I'll have to shop online.
    Also replace a blown fuse on the plow frame. Replaced the motor - didn't have time to do much testing but when I took it off there is a significant amount of brush dust in there! I butchered another plow for parts for the time being. I'll have a look at the motor when I have a bit of a break.
    Once back together the motor runs non stop. Same problem I had last year. Replaced the Plow Module and all is back to normal. Not sure if the failed Module caused the pump to overrun and burn the solenoid or if the bad motor caused the Module to fail (overheat?)
    If I can just finish the season I'll be retrofitting this unit to use the full hydraulic unit of the first generation Blizzard. No more $280.00 modules.

Thanks for the help.

10. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

100 amp wont last long , mine welded on and ran until it wouldn't lift the blade any more, just curious, your solenoid is it switching positive power or negative I thought the newer blizzards switched the negative. un do the power to the motor and trace it back see if its got the solenoid powered up to pass power

11. bliz&hinikerDLR

I have never had a module fail that was not caused by something else in the electrical system. Also, Blizzard has always stood behind the modules when they have failed.

12. DIYhard

DIYhard Junior Member

@ Bliz... Pretty sure there is some great service for Blizzard in the states, however up here in Canada I cannot deal directly with blizzard I must go through the distributor. And unfortunately they are not the best representatives for the product. Lots of bad 'word of mouth' here but I know better. We bought two units right out of the states, drove down and had them installed. All the others were purchased in Canada. I love these units and am running 4 810's that have served us for over 8 years. And we are doing 100 contracts a year at over 500 plowing hours. Those units are tanks. But the newer 8100 we have has not held up. I'll keep buying the 810's as long as people will sell them though :)

@cl733 - I'll have to toy with it and see what I've got. Perhaps a bad power wire from the truck (pinched wire/ corrosion??) Snowing again today - I'm just on lunch.