1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8100 PP Performance issues

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by tac48, Jan 5, 2011.

1. tac48

tac48 Member

Is anyone having any performance issues with the new style 8100PP. A colleague of mine and I are both having some issues. We both bought the plows and had them installed at the dealer this summer. One is on a 08 duramax and the other is on an 03 K2500HD. The main issue we are both having is the time it takes to raise the blade when going into a curb or bank. Concern usually begins after plowing for awhile. When the concerns happens, it can take 3 or more seconds for the blade to respond after hitting the up button. Occasionally one of the wings will not go out on my plow. Occasionally both wings will chatter as they go out on his plow. I have had it were the blade will start to go up and stop while still holding the up button. We have both tried different controllers to no avail. Simple checks like connections and fluid level have already been performed.Dealer is in contact with Blizzard and is doing what they can at this point, but the sooner we can get to the bottom of this the better. We are hitting curbs and thus not doing the truck or plow any good. We have a good amount of plowing experience with the older blizzard plows, boss plows, and westerns. Neither of us believe what are plows are doing to be normal operation. Any help, experiences, or ideas would be appreciated.

2. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

my plow goes up at a constant rate then for the last couple of inches goes real slow the rest of the way up. checked fluid and asked dealer but no answers yet. good luck

3. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

(8100) Almost every bolt has came loose on the mount and cutting edge after multiple times of re- tighten them to spec. I've had cutting edge bolts break off as well ( from factory they are grade 5) I've only used the plow for 4 month and the paint already shows wear and rust. My driver side wing is showing that stress crack that usually develops after years of plowing not months. The plug has to be taped because it won’t stay connected. The factory solenoid is too small and needed to be replaced. The list goes on and on. I will never buy another blizzard plow after this.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I've stood by them for years, they are a productive plow but the support is just not there. I've spoken with reps and top dogs yada,yada,yada we're sorry but.........
    I can tell you that any engineer worth their salt, knows that stress crack can be lessened by rounding the corners of the cut into the moldboard. Pointy angles cut in metal are weaker, guaranteed that crack comes out of a corner on yours, that's grade nine shop (in the eighties) Great plow, poor support. I'm considering going back to Boss, as it would seem that DD has their hands in Western/Fisher and I've gotten disgruntled. Mine needs a new cutting edge next season (it's 3rd in 3 years) at $600 per It's better money to go to my new boss. I gave them a good shot, but down time is stressful enough in this business without poor support.

5. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

I totally hear you. I bought 2 new 8100 this year and have had more problems with them then all my other plows ( hiniker and Leo) combined in just the short 4 months I have owned them. DD really doesn’t put the time into their product for the amount of money they are charging. If you are on the fence about buying a Blizzard I would really think twice I’ve had a lot of down time with my new plows. Even my previous generation model 2009-2010 810 had bad A frame welds from the factory and came completely apart (dealer warranty) but the plow was gone for a week during a huge storm. What was I to do if that was my only plow?

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011