1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 wing over extends and jams up

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by SnowDozers, Dec 3, 2005.

1. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

Today I was pushing in the approach on one of my smaller lots and the right wing returned when it hit the concrete bump, no big deal I kept pushing just like every other time. The actual plow did not trip but when I got done with the push I noticed that I couldn't move the right wing in or out, it was exteded past the edge of the moldboard and the top of the wing got wedged behind the moldboard. I took it to the installer (first year installer, not very familar with the plow yet). The only thing I hit today was a manhole and I hit it with the center of the blade. It was in the first 10 feet of a pass so I was not going too fast.

We pulled the pins on the wing and got it to the scoop position. Using a brass bar and a hammer we slammed on a piece inside the wing, it worked but I want to know how to prevent this problem again. The dealer is going to contact Blizzard because during the process of this whole deal it bent up the top of the plow and knocked off a lot of paint, which I can paint but will now rust prematurely. Below are pictures to show what we had to do to get things back in order.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

My wings were over extending also, the pins might be to short. I was at blizzard yesterday getting mine replaced. You can check to see if they over extend by simply running your wing out to the cup position and pushing the wing so it straightens out, if there is no overlap for the wing to blade then its the pins that need to be replaced.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the same thing happening with my plow and we really have'nt had alot of snow...:rolleyes:

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like alot of people are having problems with the 810. :eek: I think blizzard needs to re-engineer the wings a little. I do want to get a 810 over the summer but this has me a little scared.

5. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

There was an overlap when I bought it but now I've plowed with it three times.

6. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

My brand new 810 is doing the same thing. Only plowed with it twice and noticed this morning that the drivers side wing will over extend and when it goes back in it kind of catches and has chiped the paint. Are the longer pins the fix for this problem or not? CNYScapes in another post said his new pins did not fix the problem. The people that are having this probblem, are they new 05 models or what? Ice Cream sounds like your dealer that did the install needs to cough up some money for your grief.

7. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

Mine is an 05. I did a lot of research before I bought this plow and this year seems like it's a lot of trouble. The plow is sweet when it works, but I'm about to drop it off and go across the street and pick up my new Boss if I can't get this figured out.

8. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

My dealer laughed at me when I said I wanted my money back or something along those lines.

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

While I have had no problems with my 810, I would not stand for the thing being broken. If they can't fix it I would file a claim against them. Maybe it's poor dealer support or there is a problem in the plow due to a manufacturer defect but either way they need to fix it.
    Document any one who has the same problem as you and have names and purchase dates to back it up in the event you have to go to the next level.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree 100%...:nod:

11. Indyjeepnut

Indyjeepnut Junior Member

Ditto

My 810 is starting it's 3rd season and does the exact same thing.

Andy
    Indianapolis, IN

12. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

i only went through 1 storm on the plow and the wings both over extended and portsmouth ford had not a clue. first they said i hit something and caused it to bed but i said listen if the small curb i hit broke the driver side then fine. but the passenger side has no singn of abuse and the plow only has less than 10 hrs on it. as far as im concerned blizzard dealers suck. im ready to stop plowing just to sell them so guys in my shoes can make money instead of spend it

13. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

My 04' blizzard has never had a wing problem or any problem for that matter. But this new 05' model, same wing problems as above, left wing jammes up on top by the fold and the right wing rammed inside the pivoting point. The plow is going in on Monday and it seems blizzard might replace the pins and wings due to terrible damage from the street and my sledge hammer.

Ken - New Look Landscaping

14. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter Junior Member

Wing extension problems

I had the same wing problems with my new 810. Factory says they had a QC problem with the two pins used to locate the extension and home position of the wing. They said the pins were 1/16 inch below the minimum length letting the blade slide past the pin stop. We welded the pins longer, seems Blizzard was all out of the pins, and ground them so they just clear the wing. This seems to stop the problem of the over extension. In the mean time I bought a new Boss for my spare truck. I like the Blizzard but they had better get it right and quick. The only time you have a problem is in the middle of a parking lot at 3:30 am snowing and 5 degrees F.

15. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

A Bullitin went out about it today, they do overextend and Blizzard has sent new pins to replace the 05/06 pins. It shoud be a free job. I was lucky that I havn't had any damage because of this, but you should talk to headoffice and get them to replace your bent wings because of their design problem.

Jon