1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 sitting for 2 years, maintenance...

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by beanz27, Nov 8, 2015.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Just picked up a pre DD 810 for $500, just ordered the mount, got the wiring. So anyways I haven't tried anything yet, what should I do before using it? I figured plow fluid and filter, anything else?

2. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Clean all the elect. Connections real good, run a clean rag over the ram rods and test. That's a great price, good job!

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Remove the tank from the pump, clean it all.
    Angle rams, remove hoses, manually angle, obviously rams have containers underneath them.
    If your not pulling the wings, then remove both hoses, and either add 90° fittings or small hoses and then manually pull out and push in wings.
    Look at the hitch arms. Loose pins, and cracked locking arms.
    IMO I'd pull the wings and box's for inspection and lubrication

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

dieselSS covered most of it but I'd also remove each valve and make sure they move. If it was left sit with moisture in the system one or all could be frozen.

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Just picked it up today, I'll probably start working on it this week, how do I replace the filter?

6. dieselss

By either sucking all the fluid out, removing the 3 mounting bolts and then removing the tank.
    Or just removing the mounting bolts, then the tank.

7. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thanks guys. Btw can anyone date this plow? I searched and can't find anything. Serial number is 810-1200. My dealer only could say that the first number means PH1, aside from that he has no idea.

8. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Pic of back will tell, but I bet it is a 99

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

It's a 2000, anyways just got around to doing this, took the reservoir off( 4 bolts btw), which wasn't exactly fun, but all I see for a filter is the little mesh one at the intake. Am I just not seeing something obvious?

10. dieselss

No, that's it.
    Did you remove the 3 mounting bolts, and pull up the whole assm? Makes it 1000 times easier to get that one bolt closest to the pump on the underside.

11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Ok, I misunderstood what you said earlier, I thought you were saying 3 bolts on the reservoir, not the pump assembly. Yes, removed the pump assembly, found out my left side mount needs welding. That isn't that easy of a reservoir, I'm not looking forward to putting it back on, that back bolt sucked lol.

12. dieselss

Yes it does. No real easy way. When reassembling, I.usually do that one last.

13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Just want to see if I understand this power hitch, if I drive right into plow and put pins in all I have to do is make sure that arm engages the back of the mount correct?

14. dieselss

Yes. However, it usually almost never works like that. That's what the hitch lock is there for. If your off, you hook up the connection, pull the pin, and operate the hitch switch. It'll pull through plow into the mount. Just remember to lower the hitch and reset the hitch assm.

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Ok so got everything put on and wired today with the exception of the headlights and turn signals, and now I have a few questions.

1. Is there supposed to be a light in the controller as a backlight? Only light I have on mine is the float light.

2. Float, all other plows I've run seem to leave the light on while it's in float, this one only lights up when I push the joystick forward, as soon as I let up it goes off.

3. Quill adjustment-is it the whole valve that I turn or is there supposed to be a small allen head screw? Only real problem I'm having is this thing lowers SLOW, and I'm pretty sure that its not fully going down as the truck looks like it's squatting just a tad bit.

4. The switch on the side of the motor is toast, made hooking up not very fun, but it is on there now, can I replace with any 3 way switch or is there something special about it that I have to order from blizzard?

5. Left wing seems to be off track, any tips? If I try to extend it, it tries to cup forward right away. On a similar note, the right wing seems to not want to cup forward.

I think that's it for now, two biggest things I need to know is that wing deal and by far the biggest is the quill adjustment. Thanks in advance guys!

16. dieselss

1. No.
    2. Supposed to stay on while in float. Just saw another thread on this, one guy said it was his controller that was bad.
    3. Allen head in the middle if I remember correctly
    4. Technically any dpdt switch will work. HOWEVER, just buying the proper switch is better. I got them for 15 00 each a few months ago.
    5. My first thought is the spring needs to be tightened. Extend the wing, then retract it so it's flat, then push on the backside. That'll tell you if it's loose or not. You really shouldn't be able to move it forward with ease.

17. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thanks again! I'll see what I can find out later today.

18. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I do not have a flow valve like I'm supposed to, no knob, no little screw. I gotta get this thing going, is there another option?

19. dieselss

Really? Any chance for a picture of the manifold?

20. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Not the best photo but, this is you control for drop speed.

image.jpg