1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 problem

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by tinman1275, Nov 14, 2015.

1. tinman1275

tinman1275 Junior Member

I just bought a Blizzard 810, got it installed, and now all the joystick controls also lower the blade. All the functions work, but also lower the blade at the same time. All the connections seem fine, no corrosion, what am I missing?
    I bought this unit used from a dealer, and he's not interested in helping, so I'm on my own.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Would start by trying a different control. Maybe try disconnecting leads for the lower coil. Not a Blizzard expert by any means.

3. tinman1275

tinman1275 Junior Member

I should mention this is the older model, not the new multiplex wiring.
    I was thinking it might be the control, but the rockers to extend the wings do the same thing, and everything was working fine on another truck last week, so I'm kind of hoping I missed something on the install.

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I would start by removing the float coil from the valve and performing functions other than float/lower/detach. If your problem goes away you have an electrical problem. If it stays, hydraulic.

5. tinman1275

tinman1275 Junior Member

Well, first I checked the valves to see if any were sticking and they all seemed fine, then tried running it with S8 coil off, no change, but with S5 coil off everything worked fine. Turned out the truck side plug was shorted between the positive and the float wire, so a quick jumper past the plug solved it for now.
    With all the issues these plugs have, I'm really thinking of trying to find something better. Having to replace a $300 harness before even using the plow is ridiculous, with my luck the next one will have the same issue.
    Now I just have to figure out how the float works, I can't seem to get mine into float for more than a second or so, at least the light doesn't stay on and the dealer says that is normal. I can't see the point in having float mode if it only lasts a second or 2 before it times out.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Tin, I/company trucks have never had to have the plugs replaced due to the issues your talking about. Not sure where your plugs are mounted, maybe try something different?
    And your dealer is nuts the float light should always come on when it's in float.
    When it goes out of float, what happens to the plow? Will it float or lock in place?

7. tinman1275

tinman1275 Junior Member

After I found out what the issue was, I searched online to see if there were any replacement plugs available, and that's when I started finding lots of posts on different sites about these truck side harnesses having shorts due to molding issues right from the factory.
    I've never been able to get it into float, the light only flashes on for second or so, and according to the dealer when you put it in float it will time out on it's own? I think he's on glue, what would the point be to have it time out? Unless it's to protect a coil from burning out or something.
    I'll know more after I use it, I was in a rush to get it installed due to this big storm that was coming, and it's warmed up enough that it's just been raining the last few days.

8. dieselss

About what year is it?
    No point for it to time out in float.
    All honesty, I've never heard of them having the issues.
    Do you only have the one blizzard?

9. tinman1275

tinman1275 Junior Member

The plow is a 2009, and yes it's my only Blizzard.
    I wish I had found out about that harness issue before I spent all the time diagnosing other things, I could have fixed it in 10 minutes instead of hours.

10. dieselss

Oh so it's a dd plow.
    If you still have wiring issues a suggestion I can offer.
    How many pins do you have? (I know I should know but I don't) now see what manufacturers make replacement "ends" and wire them in. The main power and ground would either be another manufacturers connectors, or an anderson power pole connector and your own wire

11. tinman1275

tinman1275 Junior Member

When did DD take over? I thought that the white Blizzards were pre DD and the black ones were after?
    That's what I was thinking, use welding cable connectors for the power cables and find something else for the other 10 wires. It's working right now, well, I'm not sure about the float mode, but that I can figure out later.
    It seems that the harness problem is pre DD, so my harness is much older than the plow. I'm not surprised though, I've discovered that this dealer likes to fab everything himself and reuse old parts on all his installs. He wanted a full day to make me an undercarriage rather than just order the right one, and another full day for the wiring, which kind of makes sense now if he ends up having to patch up crappy old harnesses to get them working again.

12. dieselss

DD bought blizzard in 07 I believe?
    And that's when alotta the "issues" came up.
    All blizzards are white fyi. The new Snowex is black.
    So then does your light bar stay with the truck or with the plow?

13. tinman1275

tinman1275 Junior Member

With the truck, it's PH1

14. dieselss

ok just checking. your is def. a dd blizzard then.

15. tinman1275

tinman1275 Junior Member

So how do you like your 810? Any issues I should watch out for?

16. dieselss

main issues are related to maintenance.
    the 2 slide box pins, if there not cleaned and greased regularly, they seize and thats the main point to getting the wings out. also make sure they are the proper length, ive seen a few that were to short.
    wing to slide box pins. theres your main point of wing movement. those pins seize and youll play hell getting them out. so i always remove both wings, pull the cylinders, and separate the wing from the box, clean the holes, and usually end up getting new pins cause the old ones bend, grease the crap out of the pin holes and then reassemble
    i remove the fluid resiviour to clean out the bottom and both filters.
    last the draw latch pins. what i find is the pin closest to the lift cylinder ends up breaking and youll never see it. so as you might have guessed, i pull apart the hitch system and clean and grease all the pins and holes.
    last would be the hoses, ANY signs of cracking, replace them NOW. so much easier then in the freezing cold.
    my "new" plow had a motor issue and that lead to a trip to the machine shop to get the bolt removed from the aluminium block.
    above and beyond maintenance, and lots of water resistant grease

17. bliz&hinikerDLR

Pretty familiar with the main power wire shorting to the float wire on the truck side plug. I don't remember what years had the most problems. Most harnesses failed early on so we don't see that problem much any more but there are still bad harnesses out there. I don't typically see repeats of this repair. There are always cheaper/better connectors out there. It will depends how much time you want to devote to making your own harnesses.

18. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

On my 810 the float function quit working. It was a component failure in the joy stick box. I sent mine to Jerre for repair.

19. tinman1275

tinman1275 Junior Member

I wonder what component failed? I finally got to give my 810 a good workout today and I never did get the float to work, and I know the coil and valve work, so it has to be something in the controller.

20. bliz&hinikerDLR

I assume you must have been able to lower the plow but it would not lock in float. If that is your symptom, I think the time delay (B62184) has failed. I'm not 100% sure, so if someone can confirm that would be swell.