1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 power hitch wont unhitch but will hitch

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by KCGman, Jan 15, 2011.

1. KCGman

KCGman Junior Member

Older Blizzard 810 I can lower plow with cab controller. I go to unhitch with toggle and it makes noise like it wants to work but acts like it is binding. I can move the toggle in the opposite direction and it tightens the hitch and raises the plow.
    Please help so I can get the plow off my truck!
    Thanks

2. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

pins in the power hitch bent and wont allow it to move? I had a similar issue with my plow but it moved hard/not all the way to full down position. I am no expert though.

3. KCGman

KCGman Junior Member

I just pulled the pin in the "claw" to get it off. Nothing appears to be bent or binding. I wanted to get it in the garage and thaw it out. Something I just thought of, I had a line blow in the middle of the storm and I put a new one on, it was the right angle hose. I had to back the plow up on a curb and ratchet strap it up to make it to get a hose. Could I have "confused" it somehow? It goes up and down with the cab controller. Isn't this the same cylinder? I'm stumped! Seems electrical to me but yet it makes a noise like it wants to do something but it is that binding noise like when you try to move it in a direction and it is already maxed out.

4. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

It maybe as simple as just a bad toggle switch on the plow. Or cleaning the terminals of the switch. If you go to blizzards websight you can look up the owners manual with troubleshooting info.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  5. damian

damian Senior Member

you probably have a bad hook up switch.remove the connector from the back of the hook up switch and plug it back in upside down and see if works in (up will now be down and vice versa) if so get a new switch.but this will get the plow off the truck and you could manage it back on if need be.

6. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Try adjusting the drop speed adjustment screw. Counterclockwise will increase the speed, and allow for the Power Hitch to move more freely.

7. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

If you are really in a hurry, leave the plow in float, pull the pins, unplug the harness, chain the front of the plow to a fixed object, drop it in reverse and drop the hammer.

As to fixing the problem? Switch, diode pack, pinched/broken wire are all possibilities. If you hear something running with the switch on, that'd be the brown wire that powers the solenoid to run the pump. The other wire you need power to is the orange/red wire. Get out the test light and back probe the back of the switch at the orange/red wire. If power there with the switch on, check at the 10 pin harness connection, where you should have power at the A (orange/black to S5) and D (orange/red to S8) terminals. If you don't have power at the A (orange/black to S5) your not getting power through the diode pack. Diagnose each step of the way so you don't throw parts at it without verifying they are bad.

8. KCGman

KCGman Junior Member

Tonight I turned the switch upside down and I have the same symptoms. It did not reverse anything. The drop speed adjustment is not the issue. The owners manua does not list this particular problem. I have not done all the wire testing as suggested yet. I will try that hopefully tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

9. JRT

JRT Junior Member

anyluck? i have the same problem with my 800HD. but it wont latch to the truck. gona follow the diagnoses posted above to see if i have a bad switch.

10. damian

damian Senior Member

if you reversed the connector at the hook up switch it had to reverse the arm operation.dont turn the switch upside down just unplug the connector and turn it upside down and reconnect it.

11. JRT

JRT Junior Member

just got mine fixed.. just a bit of cleaning.. refer to post 800HD wont hook . try that out.. good luck

12. james1115

james1115 Member
    from CT

take the s5 and s7 valves out and switch them. If it goes down you need a new valve. I had this same exact problem last season. All of my valves started going at once so I had to replace them all.

13. KCGman

KCGman Junior Member

Fixed! I did the wire testing and found one of my orange wires had become disconnected from the diode pack plug. I was able to wedged it back in and drop some solder into it to hold it back in. I also sealed it all up with some hot glue to keep it from pulling out or moisture getting in. The "claw" hooks and unhooks as it should now. Thanks everyone!
    However somehow in the process I did something to my right wing, it goes out but wont retract now. Always something. Gotta love these dam things.

14. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Check your red/black wire at the 10 pin weatherpack connector on the plow side harness, may have pulled it while checking everything else.