1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 plow smoking

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by wls, Nov 28, 2005.

1. wls

wls Senior Member

I have a 810 mounted on a 04 3500 dually dodge, I went out and started it up this mornibg, and let it run for 15-20 minutes. When I came back to the truck to shut it off, walking back to the garage I smelled like plastic/wiring burning, I looked and there was smoke coming from under the black plactic cover over the manifold etc. I could'nt really see where it was coming from. Wonder what it could be, I started back up and raised the blade, so I could take to shop, called them the regular plow installer is gone today, said they could have someone else look at it. Any ideas??

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Take the cover off and see if anything is melted.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, that would be the first thing I would do....

4. wls

wls Senior Member

that was the 1st thing I did, found out it was my fault, left the plow in float position. The coil got alittle warm, it still works but I replaced it and will keep the old one for a spare. $16.75 Lesson learned, leave joystick in nuetral, or shut the power button off. Thanks for the help.:)

5. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Got any pics of that dodge setup you can post?

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You should have the hot feed for the controller to a keyed hot point so that it isnt on unless the key is on.

7. roofsinc

roofsinc Junior Member

Crash..I need ya'! Come back to Meyer for a sec...

8. wls

wls Senior Member

The truck was running, and the red light was on, on the joystick.

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

My plow is in float mode while I am plowing sometimes for a few hours. Never a problem. It should be able to be in float mode forever if need be.

10. wls

wls Senior Member

wow you must plow a big parking lot:)

11. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

that will happen.:waving:

12. SnowGuy73

Yeah I agree, leaving your plow in float should'nt burn up your coil...:rolleyes:

13. wls

wls Senior Member

I guess it does, they told me that its putting juice to the solenoid. When mine is in float, the red light is on my joystick. If I pull the joystick back to center, making the red light go off, there should'nt be any power going out to the plow. Maybe some of the blizzard dealers will chim in, and clear this up.:)

14. wls

wls Senior Member

Here's some pics.

030116111046.JPG

030116111136.JPG

030116111146.JPG

15. SnowGuy73

If that is true, that is the most retarted thing I've ever heard of. That means if you get out of your truck to shovel, or fuel up you need to shut your plow off. Otherwise it will do damage to your coil. Thats really stupid, what kind of setup is this? :dizzy:

16. wls

wls Senior Member

I know, I'm just going to make sure my joystick in in the neutral position.

17. johnbelco

johnbelco Junior Member

810 Smoking

Could be a short in the harness under the cover. Does'nt sound familiar, and we have not heard of this from any customers.

18. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

It's my understanding that the coil used for the Float/Lower valve (regardless of plow make and model) should be designed for constant "on" usage. However, this has not always been the case. I remember a friend left his Fisher controller (older conventional mount with bigger joystick- not all-cable or smaller one that uses the printed circuit board) in the Float/Lower position and it burned up the coil. Either way, from what I've learned over the years (via the web), some coils are designed for momentary or short duration activation, while others are specifically designed to be energized for indefinite periods of time. Perhaps there was a defect in that particular coil or maybe there is a short somewhere or other wiring defect. Just my .02 cents.

Ryan

19. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Say your plowing a road, your blade needs to be in float for the cylinder to move freely or the plow will want to raise and lower as the truck goes over the dips and bumps.
    I have had my plow in float for at least 3 hrs before with no problems.

20. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Joe what he's talking about if I'm correct is holding the joystick in the forward position. I had the same problem, when I was plowing I was holding the joystick forward as if to keep the plow in float. I found out this is not nessesary just hold the joystick forward for a few seconds and let go and the joystick will return to the neutral postion the plow will stay in float until you pull back on the joystick to raise the plow. It does cause the solenoid to overheat if you hold the joystick forward. Hope this sort of answers your ?.

Bob :D :D :D :salute: