1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 not going down

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by caddy, Feb 25, 2006.

1. caddy

caddy Junior Member

Hello,
    I am having problems with my plow not dropping down. If I use the controller in the cab, I cannot hear the solenoid kick in but the plow does not drop. If I switch over to the power hitch and try to lower it from the switch on the plow in front then the solenoid kicks in and the plow tries to lower (I can feel it lurch when it tries) but it seems like it binds. This is the second snow season I've had this plow and I loved it last year, though there wasn't much snow to plow here :)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. truckie36

truckie36 Member

There is a knob on the valve body for the drop speed. Maybe someone turned it or there is a piece of dirt stuck in it. Try adjusting that. And keep your feet clear.:eek:

3. paulsauto

paulsauto Member

you need to remove the cover and see what coil is the down coil. then check with a screwdriver and see if it magnetizes when energized. possible diode pack if it doesn't. if it does then possible stuck valve in valve manifold. Good luck.prsport

4. GFX

GFX Member

Just went through this myself. I would check the S5 coil. It is right below and to the left the flow control valve. This coil is for the float function. I would guess this coil is shot. Mine had a nipple grow out of it which eventually grounded out on the flow control and blew fuses every time I used float.

The other down coil is S8 which you also may want to check.

I was having the exact same problems you are having and my turned out to be the S5 coil. $17 and some change for a new one from the blizzard dealer.

In the future, when you have it all fixed, only leave the plow in float when you are plowing. If you go somewhere and drop the plow in float and sit there and talk to your buddy for a while with the truck running that S5 coil is always energized. Excessive heat I think kills them. Either shut the plow off or take it out of float when it's not used.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  5. caddy

caddy Junior Member

Ok, thanks. I'll check it out in the am. It's getting dark here now and no shop to work in with the plow still on the truck. :) My garage isn't big enough to drive the truck into.

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

jiggling and wiggling can cause the thumb wheel for the drop speed to move on ya. Check that first

7. caddy

caddy Junior Member

Hi,
    Well, it turned out to be the S5 solenoid. I can see that it's bubbled out and leaking. I've ordered another one from the dealer, but we're expecting another 6-8" of snow tomorrow. Can I switch that solenoid with another - say for one of the wings? At least that way I can plow everyone.

Thanks.

Bill

8. bluenite608

bluenite608 Member

as "BLACKCLOUD" said, shut it off, last storm, my plow would not drop. Next thing i know, i had a large amount of smoke coming from under the cover. Scared the Sh$t out of me. Turns out that i left the plow in the down position while i had breakfast and the S5 soilenoid melted.

9. bluenite608

bluenite608 Member

I think the soilenoids are different, i do not think that you can switch them around??

10. caddy

caddy Junior Member

It was the S5 relay (Don't remember leaving it in float, though). But it's now working like a champ again. We're supposed to get 6-7" by tomorrow, so here's hoping I get the chance to try it out. :)