1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 - motor stays running...

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by jhook, Jan 24, 2009.

1. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ok, so I have an 810. What happens is I go out and raise the plow and/or use one of the other functions and the motor keeps running after I let go of the button. Even if I turn off the power to the controller, the up and down lights will stay on and the motor keeps running. It will run for maybe 30 seconds or so and then stop.

I am thinking that the power is being fed back up somehow but I am not sure where to start looking. While the motor is running, I can't use any of the controls.

Couple of things... I have been using this plow and truck all season BUT not together, I just put this plow on this truck. My first inclination was to check the plug on the harness but it is all the way together. I had the truck parked inside the shop last night so I was able to make sure the plug was together without any ice or crap in there.

Any idea where to start looking? I am going to have a nap and then head out to see what I can figure out. Plus the truck will be warm again by then :)

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Sticking selonoid. Replace it. Happened on my 810 two years ago. It melted the battery ground wire .

3. jhook

jhook Senior Member

The main selonoid? I was going to start by testing that. Was just heading out now.

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

that was gonna be my suggestion also.

5. jhook

jhook Senior Member

When I run the plow with the external switch (the one on the plow) it does not stick on. Only when I operate it from the controller (every time I push a button). Leaning toward a short someplace. Likely in the main plug. Taking one of the kids out to push the buttons...

6. jhook

jhook Senior Member

If I remove the wire that runs the solenoid, it shuts off right away so this leads me to believe that it is not the solenoid. If the solenoid was sticking, it would stay on even if the other wire wasn't there. Somehow there is power coming back up the brown/white wire.

I played around with the plug harness and I think the problem is in there. If I wiggle it a bit I can make the problem go away temporarily.

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

CHECK all the GROUNDS starting with the group on the plow. I would remove them all and clean them. Then the plug on the truck then the battery side. I have had that happen many times before mostly lose bolt on plow pump side. Check the grounds that should solve your problem.

8. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I did clean the ground connection on the battery side but I didn't check the one on the plow side. Good point. I'll clean that one off too.

9. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

Check truck side harness conection maybe moisture in pins worst case is truck side harness is needing replaced:cry:

10. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, I am really close to changing the harness. I have actually had to replace 2 of them so far (I have owned 4 810's) so it is not uncommon for them to fail. One melted on me and the other one I could test power in a wire right above the harness but there was no power in the corresponding pin. Once I check my connections if I still have trouble the harness is next. I keep one extra in stock here :)

11. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

sorry about your luck :cry:

12. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have found most harness problems are caused by corrosion in the plug. Clean them out with electricail motor cleaner. It removes most corrosion you may find. Power to small wire on seloind is caused by a grounding problem or lack of ground.

13. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Fluid film is your friend, use it liberally

14. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Its in the plug.

Its always in the plug.

Stupid stupid plug with those tiny posts.

And wait until you price the replacement. Hold on to your underwear because you;ll fly out of them.

I cut the plugs off and replaced them with trailer connectors.

15. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Well, just as an update. I cleaned all the main battery connections and really worked the plugs together and everything worked fine last night. So far so good. We use a dielectric grease in the plugs so have never had any corrosion in there.

16. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

MOISTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! most common problem with those types of plugs.. need better designs:help:

17. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Clean all the Dielectric grease out of the plug. It will cause more shorts than water if there is more than just a light film of the grease in there.

18. jkaky

jkaky Junior Member
    from Indiana

check the diode board. had same problem last year. board was melted inside plastic housing causing it to short out. cheap fix, spent way to long looking for the problem in valves and solenoids.

19. damian

damian Senior Member

Better plugs are in the works guys,yes i do not like these plugs either but it is what we have,you must keep them clean,dielectric only, and capped.his problem sounds like vehicle or plow harness trouble,again,swap controller w/known good just to be sure if you can.

20. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Just an update. Plow still working fine since last post. Again, cleaned it up, brought it in the shop and let it all warm up and made SURE the plug was together all the way. So far, so good. I do have a replacement plug in stock just in case.