1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 Lifting Issues

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Junior MO, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

I have a 2003 810 that has developed an issue. When I go to raise the plow, in either power hitch or controller mode, it will drop as soon as I let off the switch or controller. The plow will not stay up unless I raise the plow as far as it will go to the top. If I drop the plow and let off of it before it drops to the ground, it will stop, but once I go to raise, it will fall and not go up.

We have recently replaced the valves for each wing mode on each side and also all the coils and harness on the plow side. I am wondering if the valve is bad for the drop s6 coil. I noticed on the wings that one valve would go bad and then soon after another one would go bad as well. It that is the case, then I will replace all the other valves that have not yet been replaced.

I have noticed too that some of the valves have a slight bend to them as well. Is this normal or is this a sign of wear and needing replaced.

Any information and help is much appreciated!

2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I'm thinking your float coil is staying on...
    but, in regard to your changing valves: If you are not completely flushing your pump, reservoir, and manifold, you are just shifting crud from one valve to the next. You should also disassemble your valves and clean them.

3. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

Thanks for the reply. We did take out all the valves and cleaned them along with flushing the system, but still the same problem. I have valves on the way, but it takes some time since the nearest Blizzard dealer is an hour away.

We flush, clean filters, and change oil at the beginning of each season. Dirt and debris should be at a minimum, but it sometimes sneaks in....

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Pull coil off of #5 valve and try it. That is the only valve that can let it drop. If it stays with coil off you have a power back feed in the drop circuit. Fairly common issue. IF it still drops then you have a bad #5 valve.

Back feed can be an issue in the power plug. ( clean with contact cleaner or brake clean ) Put back together DRY and try it.
    IF still an issue you need to check diode board or plug. Early harnesses had a circuit board on the plow harness. Intermediate had diodes inside the harness and later ones have a plug that looks like the light plug. Intermediate ones are more of a PITA to fix but you can cut it open and replace diode on the orange wire.

If still doing it pop the bottom off of your control and disconnect the orange wire at the control board.

Will isolate problem to plow, harness (plug ) or control.

5. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

To clarify, the plow is a 2004 and the diode harness looks like the light plug.

If I have power at the plug where the coil harness plugs in, could a diode still be faulty? We have power on the orange wire where the coil harness plugs into the plow side harness. I do not have a clue as to why the diodes are there and what they exactly do.

I have not been able to test yet due to a valve being stuck inside my manifold. When we went to take out the S4 valve, it came apart in two pieces, with one stuck inside the manifold. Any ideas on how to get it out?

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Internal pipe wrench, inside pipe nipple extractor, to name a couple.
    Did you disassemble the valves when you took them out? Kinda wondering on that, the way you described the s4 valve. You need to do that to all your valves, to properly clean them. Just one of many things I learned how to do from visiting Mr Heyer.

The diode pack functions to allow the power hitch switch to fully lower the draw latch, to name one. Or to facilitate DP, but that would just confuse most.

7. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

Thanks for everyone's help so far. As of today, all valves have been replaced and I put on a new plow side harness. I tried it out today and this is now what it is doing. When I lifted it up, the plow would hold, but would not drop. I adjusted the variable speed valve and it lowered, but will not hold between. Same as if I go the other way, it would raise, but would not hold. Is my variable control valve now faulty?

Also, there are two new valves that I found to be faulty from DD. The two valves are part #B60166, which control the wing functions and the float. I put in the old one for the float and it got me to where I am at now. Before, the plow would raise and not come back down, no matter where I positioned the variable control valve. The other one, would not let me extend my passenger side wing. Put the old one back in, and now it works fine.

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

The 60166 valve should be in the wing's both top and bottom and the S8 position for the power hitch (lower function under power), The S5 should have a 60475 valve in it. If you have flow control open all the way. A new S5 valve that is working ( remove the coil to keep power from coil ) and it's still dropping then you have a blown out seal in your lift cyl. Easy check for the lift cyl leak is to remove the #4 hose from the cyl or manifold and lift the plow. When it hit's the top of lift if you're still getting continued pressurized fluid flow out cyl or hose you have a bad lift ram.

9. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

Did not try removing the hose, but with the S5 coil removed, it will not hold in the up position with the flow control all the way open. I am now starting to notice a slight fluid leak where the lift cylinder is, but cannot see where it is leaking. It looks as though it is coming from under the a-frame and only running out when the plow is lifted all the way up. There is not a leak around the hoses, fittings, or seal where the ram is, where I can see. Is there another seal at the back end of the cylinder? Also, when I lift the plow now the lift cylinder sounds different, almost like the sound of you hand going over glass.

Right now, if I raise the plow all the way up it will hold. It will drop all the way to the ground, but nothing in between. I am not familiar with the lift rams on these plows, do they have a internal seal that keeps pressure on the ram in the up position and if so, do they start to leak when going bad?