1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 life expectancy

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

How long can one of these last? Who's got the oldest one? I have had no major problems with mine, one broken wire behind the connect/disconnect switch, and 3 hose failures (2 last night and one last year). But I'm wondering if it's on it's last legs. Obviously I can go through and change all the hoses and wear items, but if the pump or manifold or some major electrical stuff goes, is it worth constantly rebuilding? My wings are pretty beat up, still working but they've seen better days. And today I went up over a curb, while trying to back up I caught my shoes on it. Rippied one out without damaging it, apparently just forced the lynch pin open. But the other side got bent up some. I just put them back on too, after trying it without them. I also managed to tear a trip spring off when I caught it on a chain (don't ask).

Just wondering, since having problems recently I've begun to lose faith in it a little I guess.

2. big bird

big bird Senior Member

you dont need a plow you need a tank lol:dizzy:

3. jhook

jhook Senior Member

How old is it?

I bought my first one in 04, still running it. So this is it's 4th winter. Likely got about 1400 hrs of going up and down, back and forth. Still strong. Almost through the second cutting edge. Never trouble with hoses, etc yet. I bought 2 that year. Sold one of those ones last winter and got 2 new ones. Not sure how long all those moving parts will be good for so I will offload a used one pretty quick if opportunity arises.

Would be interested though also to hear how many hours one of these things can run.

wesport

4. Detroitdan

I do need a tank. I wish I had a bunch of nice cushy paved parking lots, but due to my work schedule I can't do much commercial anymore, because they need you there right now and all the time. I built a small route of driveways that understand (for the most part) that I will be there as soon as I can., but I work a fulltime job at night. So I have to plow around my 8 hour shift. Not too much trouble, but I would prefer to get the better money out of some big commercial jobs. Especially since my truck would be far better suited to big lots than small driveways.
    Whare was I? Oh yeah, some how I always seem to end up taking on driveways where a tank would be better. Yesterday I was driving along and saw a woman stuck a couple hundred yards up a long, unplowed driveway. Walked out to offer assistance, ended up pushing her put by hand, plowing and sanding the driveway and probably got the driveway on my route. Apparently she just got home from a long trip, she had somebody to plow her driveway for $100 and they didn't plow last week or this week. So she had nearly 1/4 mile of packed ice and snow 3inches deep, with 6 inches of day old powder on top of that. Up and down hills, steep at times. I was pretty surprised I was able to push it without sliding off the driveway or getting stuck behind the big wall of snow I was pushing. Couldn't angle much because it would steer me off the driveway. I am certain I couldn't have done it without all the weight I had on. But I'm not looking forward to plowing all the heavy wet stuff we are going to get tonight

5. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

this is my 4th year also on my 810. very few problems so far, but i will probably unload it after this winter or next at the latest. It looks pretty beat, haha.

6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Got 2 customers with the original plows from 1999. One is in great shape, looks brand new, other one only has one wing, guy bent it last year, did'nt want to put the money into it to fix it, so I capped off the manifold.

7. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I have a 99 serial # 358 and it is still going. This is going to be it's last year as the mold board welds along the top of the cutting edge is rusting away. I have been hard on it and the only repetitive problem i have had is the front mount for the pump keeps breaking the weld.

8. Detroitdan

my 99s serial number is 15

9. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Detroit, did I get that right, 15? Ding Ding, you might be a winner.

Longevity only depends on how much you want to maintain, either on front end as Prev Maint, or on the back end as repairs.

My main plow last 6 yrs has been a 99 810, wings/slide boxes are what I call nicely seated in. Could stand a new centerbolt, but then again, it follows contours better with a little slop.

With regard to the hydro/electrics, I don't see the manifold as being a problem, if you have kept up with regular fluid changes, and a bunch of moisture and crap is not residing inside. Maybe you might wear out a pump sometime, coil solenoids every now and again. Hoses, depends on how much you are tripping. I'll put in a plug for Jerre. When I get the chance, I'm gonna pack up my old blades and make the trek for the Erie upgrades. I think its worth the money, and I dont see why I couldnt push another 6 on one of these.

I have seen newer blizzard blades with what I would have to think would be much fewer hours that are really more rotted out. I think it depends how much you are driving around in salt crap with the blade on, and do you wash it after events.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  10. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

might be time for an old school straight blade.

JR

11. Detroitdan

Why do you say that? Less moving parts?

Been there, done that. I had some conventional Fishers, tough as nails and never needed anything but a cutting edge and a hose now and then, but I'll probably never go back to a straight blade. Just takes so much longer to move any snow with them. Every chance I get (when I'm not plowing), I watch people working a straight blade. No comparison to a Blizzard or a V-plow. They were fine back in their time, but I think their time has passed.
    My truck is 8 feet wide at the rear fenders, so I need a 9 or 10 foot blade. Since I can't go down the road with a 10 foot wide blade, the Blizzard works out perfectly for me.

And it isn't a matter of the Blizzard not being strong enough, it's real heavy duty, but like I said it's getting old and tired.

12. jhook

jhook Senior Member

All I have used for the past 4 years is an 810. This year I bought a used truck that had a Western 8' straight blade on it. Had a driver out with it in a storm this week. What a waste of metal. I forgot after all my hours on an 810 (and 3 years on a Vplow before that) how ridiculously useless a straight plow is. I am real close to taking it off the truck and throwing it in the garbage and getting another 810. Just it is not a main truck and does not go out all the time so I may just leave it for now. :cry:

13. NewImgLwn&Lndsc

NewImgLwn&Lndsc Senior Member

I have a 810 and its a 2000. I have replaced every hose twice, one of the wings, a control box, and the plug for the plow on the front of the truck. I have been very good on the maintainance. The pump is getting really weak. I have come to absolutely hate this plow. It has let me down the last 3 out of 5 times. Today I took it off and bought a new Boss.

14. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

Suggestion on your plow.

Hey DetroitDan,
    Man if I was you I'd really start thinking about selling that plow before it just has a major catastrophic failure! I've heard bad things about those early models, blah, blah, blah...
    I could probably take it to the scrap yard for ya for cheap money, I'd be doing you a favor of course. I crack myself up. Seriously, I'm looking for an 810. I've got an old rusted out 9ft. Fisher and 9ft Curtis that just make me feel stupid when I'm out plowing. I'm totally convinced that the 810 has gotta be the best plow out there besides the Western & Fisher copycats, which either tie or come close. My budget is el cheapo, but I'm willing to spend a couple & a 1/2 grand for a decent one that fits a Dodge Ram.

15. Detroitdan

Man, that's really tempting, only problem is I'd have to find another plow right away. And since I don't have any money, I can't afford a new one even with your cash as a downpayment. I don't really do enough plowing to justfiy a new plow, although it would be nice...
    If I was shopping for a new plow right now, I would most likely get another 810, but I'd have to look at the bigger Fisher Vee plow too. Every so often I run into a situation where a Vee would be better than the 810. Although most of the time the Blizzard is better. Ideally, I'd like to have a Vee plow with expanding Blizzard wings-I'll call it my "W" plow.

16. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

There you go - a vee w/wings - looks like $10,000 to me...................:dizzy:

17. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I have thought about that kind of a beast before too. Would be an interesting unit for sure.

:D

18. lcsM

lcsM Junior Member

when you broke your switch for the lift arm did you have any problems with a burnt fuse. Only reason i ask is, my switch broke replaced it and the lift arm still doesnt work.

19. Detroitdan

Not that I recall. Just fixed a broken wire on the back side of the connect/disconnect switch. But I can see where it would easily blow a fuse if something were shorting out under there.