1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 Keeps blowing fuses

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by leigh, Feb 4, 2009.

1. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

My 06 810 keeps blowing the inline 15 amp that powers controler Any ideas ? Fuses last anywhere from one touch of controller to maybe 2 minutes of use
  2. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

This happened to a friend. The truck side wiring harness was chaffed and shorted out.
  3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Is the main plug clean, no excess dielectric grease in it.
  4. articstorm

articstorm Member

I had a similar issue of blowing fuses all the time. One problem I discovered was that the installer had ziptied the wire going from the battery to the solinoid to the wiring harness going to the engine. This caused the wire to flex from the motor moving and lossened the nut. I replaced the ziptie and left it semi loose so the motor could flex without moving the wire. I also tightened the solinoid nut and added a second jam nut to keep it in place. Also the battery connections had loosened and I replaced those with a stud that bottoms out and a jam nut to lock them down so they will not loosen anymore. This is a good time to clean and spray with battery conditioner.

After a while I started blowing fuses again. Then I discovered that the truck side wiring harness plug was ziptied to close inside the bumper and in an twisted position. This allowed the plug to twist and come apart just enough that the short pins were jumping current, causing an arc and blowing the fuse. I changed the truck harness position giving it some room outside the bumper and then I ziptied the two plugs together so they can't come apart. My plug had way to much grease in it also that had to be removed.

If you are questioning the truck side harness, remove the plug from the plow and power the controller in all directions (with a good fuse). You will be able the hear the solinoid clicking if your truckside is working.

Other than that I don't know, I've only been in blizzard's for going on three months now, but I'm learning alot about them. Actually a little more than I had hoped to learn about them this early on.

Good luck
  5. damian

damian Senior Member

install a fresh 15a fuse,pay attention to the last action it blew on.this will give you a clue as to which circuit is troubled..probably has a bad s8 or s5 coil,visually inspect these coils you may see one in burned on outside.ohm them all and compair readings to each other.of course you could have a chaffed harness as well,good luck
  6. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

check for loose conections that is most likley the problem never seen to much with other functions like wings moving most of the problems are with the wiring shorting check battery wires then unplug plow run the controler if it is blowing in float check s5
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Start with the simple things.

Clean the plug out and reapply dielectric grease--or even better Fluid Film. Could very well be ice in the plug shorting it out.

Then check wiring harness on the plow for bare wires\rubbing.

Then start in on the truck.

I'd bet on ice in the plug, it's happened several times to my trucks. Only 1 was a chafed wire.

Always, always start simple.
  8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Thanks for advice. Started simple - cleaned out plug, checked all wires , rerouted main plug so less stress when plow moves. Of course i couldn't get fuse to blow . People must have thought i was crazy as i drove around moving plow around hundreds times. Plowed back snow piles around parking lot at my shop for 15 minutes all was fine. I've got that feeling problem won't show up till next storm.thanks again
  9. articstorm

articstorm Member

I know what you mean about that feeling. After going through all the simple things with mine and then having it continue to cause problems it questions your confidence. One thing I was glad to see after looking at the past posting from last year, many of these issues are not new and the seem to go away after you take care of the little things. Hopefully it won't give you any trouble for a while and you will gain the confidence back. I still think it's a good plow.