1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 frame height question

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My manual says the plowframe should be no more than 14 inches. I'm at about 14.5 without the plow on. I had been considering changing the t-bar keys a long time ago just for some added height for looks, but I was afraid to raise the plowframe any more. Lately I've been wondering if it would really be that bad to go up another 1.5 or 2 inches. Will change the angle of the blade, maybe make it cut a little better, but also a bit more likely to dig and trip in dirt, right? Used to always have lifted trucks with Fishers and the angle seemed to work in my favor back them.

The reason I started thinking in this direction again was because during some recent plowing I noticed I couldn't lift the plow as high as I wanted. I figured out it was because I had no ballast (Just didn't want to buy a load of mix for a dinky little storm). So I now have ballast again and the plow lifts higher, but I can't help but wonder if a little higher might be better. Should help stacking also.

B&B or Basher, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on how high a plowframe really can be before it gets really negative.

2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

It's probably not lifting as high because the drawlatch pins are wearing.
    Where are you at on the mount holes right now?

3. Detroitdan

what's a drawlatch pin? my pin bushings are new and the pins are new, if that's what you mean. The frame is set at the lowest set of bolt holes.
    I didn't mean to say the plow is lifting less (except for the time I plowed with no ballast), I just wondered if lifting the suspension of the truck a little would be okay or if it would throw the plow too far out of whack.

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Oh, ok, I understood it to say not lifting as high as it used to, my bad.

On going higher, I think only negative would be faster wing edge wear.

5. coolinthewoods

coolinthewoods Junior Member
    from Alaska

Im curious on this issue as well, Im going to install a 6 or 8 inch lift on my truck this summer and was thinking of fabing some mounts to make my plow still work.

6. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

yes it will work the wings will wear faster but if you put carbides on they will last longer

7. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

This is how I cured my push beam height problems. If the push bean is too high the trailing edge of your blade will be off the ground when you angle your blade. Not to mention the fact thet your edges wear faster :dizzy:

,shaun
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=52890&highlight=drop+bracket

8. coolinthewoods

coolinthewoods Junior Member
    from Alaska

Perfect! another summer project, good job nice and clean. so it on your other post.

9. Detroitdan

I still feel like I want to lift it some more. I just got the airbags installed and set them so the truck was level front to back with maybe a half yard of slightly wet mix. The rear springs are weak so before the bags any mix would make it squat. Now I'm finding with the truck riding level the plow isn't coming up high enough. I don't know why it seems more noticeable now, except that maybe not letting the rearend sag is pushing the front end down a little? Also, I put new cutting edges on finally this winter, so I think the bottom of my plow might be 3-4 inches closer to the ground than it used to be...

When I backdrag it would be nice to be able to lift the plow over the snow first. Sometimes it's tough to clear any snow before getting past it to drop the blade to backdrag.

10. Detroitdan

I was leaning toward new keys, but a lot of people say they don't do anything to give you more lift. I've got 5 turns on my t-bars and I think that's probably enough. Only other opton is a suspension lift and those cost real money.
    What about raising the plow on it's bracket? Seems stupid as I know I'm already at max plowframe height. Looking at the plow when it's down on the ground, it seems like the a frame is so low.

11. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I still think you need to look at replacing the pins in your drawlatch and/or your center bolt. As old as the plow is, some looseness in these areas will make it seem like it is not lifting as high.

12. Detroitdan

Center pin is definitely loose and sloppy. Hoping to finish out this season without sinking anymore money into it though.