1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 dangerwings

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Or any other quality wings... I've often thought about adding some wings to my wings to
    A) make the plow wider so it will carry more snow, and
    B) create more forward scoop angle so it will carry more snow.

Just wondering whether it's a good idea. I'm a little leery about driving around with a 10 foot plow on. Other concerns would be adding weight, I'm already working the truck lugging that thing around, and lastly, I am never able to stop the truck with what I can push in front of me, but if I add significantly to the laod in front of the plow, maybe I'll be working the truck harder than I already have.

What do you think?

2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I like the idea of them.

But do you think your plow will hold it? With all the problems you were having i dont think its a good idea on your current 810.

3. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

I like the idea...Go wide or go home.

Chris

4. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

if your using a pick-up ???? i'd pass more capacity = more weight = more wear. if you need more blade look for a single axle dump with a 11-12' blade... something made to carry the duty.

my last pick- up transmission cost about $4k. but billet shafts and converters don't come cheap. :)
    that really cuts into the bottom line

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Forgot to mention, I'm thinking that if I keep this plow I'd like to send it down to Erie at the end of the season. So it would be refreshed and renewed before adding the wings. But that did remind me of another aspect, I've already busted up one wing, adding weight and strain may well shorten the lifespan of my rebuilt wings.

You're probably right. If I did add the wings it would probably be great in some areas, big open paved area, but the tight gravel crap would probably just get worse, and everything that I broke or hit with the wings, I would blame on my stupidity for adding the wings. Maybe if I did a lot more big open lots I could justify the wings, but I do mostly residentials and only a couple small lots.

I guess I'll stick with my original plan, my backup truck is getting an 8 or 9 foot Fisher, I think I'll go with an 8' and add forward angle wings, so I can still plow angles but have somewhat of a scoop function too.

Thanks for the input.