1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 Cutting edges

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by FAST87BIRD, Oct 1, 2009.

FAST87BIRD Junior Member
    from akron

My question is about cutting edges on a 810. Trying to find out rough idea on wear before i need to replace, or how much i can run the edge down to. I spoke with Jerre the other day and had a poor connection on the cell phone with him. Gotta love Verizon. trying to find out more about the heavy duty wings or carbide wings also more info about options for the main edge. Can i use those winter equipment extenders on these? obviouslt I need to wait till new edges. I have aprox. 1.75 inch before the mulboard. and ideas on what to do with warn out wint edges to maximize life out of the main edge. any help will be greatly appreciated.

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

I build custom cutting edges for the wings with 5/8" thick plate and 1" thick on the curb edge. they last a lot longer and the edges wear more even. The thicker plate helps to minimize the smile on the blade.
  3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I run all my blades down to 1/2" before the mold board. Sometimes even more then it is replacement time.
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

The winter edges really increase the life of the edges, no problem using them on an 810. My Lopro lasted substantially longer than I expected with the winter edges. Last year, when it was time to replace them, I went with the urethane edges, and I really really like the way they plow. They're supposed to lengthen the life of the edges as well, but I don't believe they'll last nearly as long as a blade with the winter edges. I also went with the 5/8's center from Jerre. Biggest difference between them is that the urethane edges are alot more forgiving, and they glide over imperfections in the pavement/concrete like a dream, whereas the standard steel and winter edges you feel everything. It's all about the trade-off's. Either way, the standard edges leave a lot to be desired, and if all you're looking to do is extend the life of them, the winter edges are the way to go.

FAST87BIRD Junior Member
    from akron

so i spke with jerre today and got a better understanding. Im also looking at the option of A R 400 and A R 500. any input on this steel?
  6. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

I gotta look into edges. I priced replacements and almost passed out.

The edges are more than Ive paid for any of my plows
  7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

LOL, they do add up when there's 3 instead of 1... The aggressive attack angle also results in faster wear than some are accustomed to, but they scrape damn good, so you're saving on salt and providing safer conditions... Like I said before, trade-offs...
  8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

AR steel is only hard on the surface, once you wear through the surface its just like regular steel.
  9. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

810 is no comparison to any other plow call jerre and get them with winter carbides welded to them last waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy longer than stock
  10. FiveOfastback

FiveOfastback Junior Member

Wher did you get you winter carbides? I'm in the Lehigh Valley
  11. FAST87BIRD

FAST87BIRD Junior Member
    from akron

you can get them from jerre, or there is a company in willoghby ohio called winter equipment