1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810- Burning up Alternators

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Daveyboy, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Daveyboy

Daveyboy Junior Member

My brand new alternator didn't last a month. I notice when operating the plow the voltage meter in the truck runs down to 8-9 volts and takes a while to climb back up. It's on my 98' 6.5TD. Doesn't matter what alternator i put in. The truck calls for a 105 amp, but I noticed that the 810 draws 155 amps. Does anyone have any suggestions? Would a battery isolator help with this and is there any way to hook up a higher amp alternator.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

high output alternater in your case wwould help you alot! tis is a thread going about a ho alts for the chevys in truck repair!

3. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

what kind of shape are your batteries in? I'm going to assume since you say you have a diesel that you have two big batteries already but in this case you might want to add a third in the bed for extra electrical storage.

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I would guess there is an issue besides the alt. The batterys are probably not big enough to handle it. I have the same truck and I had to do 1 alt in it since I bought it new in 98. It has always had a plow on it since day 1, 8' electric fisher for 4 years then a blizzard 810 up to last year when I stopped plowing with it.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Voltage drop on volt meter is absolutely normal. Was this a NEW alt or an Autozone rebuild? 105 amp alt is plenty. I have been plowing for years on large lots with many different trucks and plows. I never needed more than 100 amp alt and dual batteries. Have you had a amp draw test done on the plow motor?

6. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I always put a 200 amp on myself.. I have done nothing but large stuff for years.. but I run everything electric you can think of.. strobes fuel cell sander plow plus chargers.. jump packs.. In addition to the normal wipers.. heat ..lights.. and mirrors.. While I don't think I would have a problem doing lots with the 105 .. If you do driveways I would worry .. depends on if your truck can recover quick enough between plow functions.. A large battery is a MUST.. If your truck is not running.. how many times can you test the function on your plow before your truck won't start??? the answer: Not many..

7. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Have the motor on the plow pump rebuilt. It is probably going bad.

8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I've got two brand new big batteries this season, my HO NAPA alternator is probably 4-5 years old now. This year I'm noticing the plow pulls the batteries down really fast and hard, then it takes a little time to recover. I've plowed my whole route a few time with no trouble, but I'd feel better if it wasn't pounding the batteries flat over and over. I was going to go over all the plow power terminals if I ever get a chance.
    Don't tell me the plow motors going, I don't want to hear it.

9. Daveyboy

Daveyboy Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice! Good point about the plow motor possibly going. I was plowing all night and by the end of the night it would barely lift up.

10. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Check all of your gounds. IF you have bad ground you can burn up Batteries, Alts, and Pumps quick. If it was working fine and then started the charging problem and you know 100% the Alt is perfect I would bet on a ground. Oh, pumps hardly ever fail. Motor get hot and fry from bad ground and will suck the life out of your Batteries and Alt.

This is from my experience from running 6 Blizard plow every event for over 5 seasons. Only replaced 2 motors (1st one in the 2nd season after owner and test Power Plows and had happy fingers, 2nd one three years old but that plow saw 5-6 driver new to power plows), and NEVER to date replaced a pump. Take it FWIW!!!!

Ron G.

11. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Have the alternator tested. My Ford powerstroke needs a new alt about every 5 years.

12. Daveyboy

Daveyboy Junior Member

Ya I had the alt tested and tested good. I did have the pump motor rebuilt, it was burnt up. I'm going to check the grounds and other connections.