1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 Blizzard Plow angles left but not right

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by snowmobile1, Jan 2, 2008.

1. snowmobile1

snowmobile1 Junior Member
    from Utah

I have an 810 plow that is a couple years old. I have replaced the pump, cleaned the entire system out. This last storm I had my plow angled to the left. Went to move it back straight or right angle and it would not move. I eventually got it to move to the right but it moved back to the left position on its own. Any ideas what could be causing this?
  2. jbird

jbird Junior Member

Check Solenoids/valves

Step one---take a deep breath! and remember to be safe.
    Step two-- Remove large gage positive wire from hydraulic pump and secure so as not to ground you do not want the pump activating while following the outlined steps below potentially injuring you with a plow movement.
    Step three---You will need to test the Solenoids for each plow function these can be found on the aluminum valve body behind your hydraulic pump/tank.
    A. Goto Blizzard site and under products locate technical information http://blizzardplows.com/products.technical_support.asp
    and download your model and year plow assembly instructions snow plow installation instructions.
    B. Locate hydraulic valve assembly schematics(this will help in identifying the Valves used to control which functions; however, sometimes this should be etched into the aluminum block itself)
    C. Begin to test valve solenoids(an electromagnetic solenoid controls the valve position ex. to turn plow left, valve may open in one port and close in another this allows fluid to flow from one ram back into a common passage and then fluid fills the opposing cylinder
    D. By touching the nut on top of each solenoid while depressing your plow controller function desired with a steel wrench/screwdriver etc. you should note a magnetic attraction on each solenoid associated with each function. I usually have an assistant press or move the controller while I touch each solenoid nut with screw driver noting the magnetic attraction. This tells me if the solenoid is getting power. Magnetic attraction means your getting current to solenoid
    E. If all solenoids create magnetic attraction when tested then the next step is to remove each solenoid one at a time(by removing top nut the solenoid will slide off of the valve post)
    F. Utilizing a small wire brush or toothbrush remove any rust from matting surfaces (top of solenoid and bottom where nut would seat and where solenoid seats on valve toward block) often times these will corrode or rust and prevent current passage.
    If still not working properly one by one remove each valve. Repeat solenoid removal procedure and remove each valve to check that there is no foreign material located in the valve passage. While the valve is removed you can reinstall the solenoid and without the nut attached depress desired plow function. You should note that the valve will make a click or pop sound when functioning properly.

I hope I didn't over complicate with my explanation. I had a similiar problem with a used unit I bought and by systematic diagnosis it was soon realized that someone had installed a new valve without taking care on installation and a valve screen folded over and became wedged in the valve assembly. This caused the plow to always position full left and never would position right except by hand jockeying with controller depressed. Hope this helps and remember sometimes its easier to locate the valves for the left and right plow functions and remove following outlined procedure above and test with valves out of port.
  3. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Another thing you will want to check and maybe before you do the suggested solenoid valve procedure is to be sure you do not have any moisture in your hydraulic system. Plows by nature because they sit all summer draw moisture into the system. This moisture can and will freeze causing some unwanted and puzzleing results. For this reason it is really best to change the oil annually. If this moisture gets under or in one of your valves, it will hold the valve open causing the problem as described. This problem would not be discovered or corrected by merely checking the solenoid. Be sure to drain the entire system including the cylinders and refill with an approved fluid with an antifreeze additive. Hope this helps, Al