1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 blizzard a frame problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by joebob, Dec 30, 2008.

1. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

I have four blizzard 810's they are all 2007's. I have a fleet of 30 plow trucks. They all experience there share of metal fatigue however the four blizzards are driven by the owners and operation managers. In other words they are not driven as long or as hard as the regular fleet trucks. The problem is that the center pin sleeve and surrounding metal has completely failed. These blades are checked regularly but this problem was not detected, when the pivot fails it caused the angle rams to over extend and blow apart. This is the latest of many ongoing problems with these blades. If these blades were older I would chalk it up to wear and tear, but they are practially new. Has anyone experienced this and have any great ideas on how to repair so that they are stronger.

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

imo, get rid of them. boss or western is your best bet.

3. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

I own my share of Blizzards to include 3 810's all older then 07. They are all 04 models but the most telling fact is they are all PRE-DD. Seems POST-DD plow frames have had there share of failures.

That is just unacceptable impossible for 3 plows all on different trucks to have the same exact failure at the same exact time. Has to be a MFG issue. As for a repair to make stronger I would again say all of mine are just fine from day one. Get the MFG to get you some replacements ASAP. With a fleet of 30 trucks I would think the MFG would be interested in making this right!

Let us know how DD responses to this issue.

Best, Ron G.

4. 4evergreenlawns

That is valued added for sure. Do you have anything in the way of experience with running multiple plows with different drivers in different conditions to support that advice??

I had Western Plows before I switched to Blizzard. The switch was after two A frames and a Quadrant on the smae plow in 2 seasons.

Asked me how many A frames and Quardants I have repalced since then.

I am sorry now I see you are a foreman @ a Western dealer OF COURSE you want to tell a guy to buy plows that fail should you actaully use them. Oh, but the paint sure does last long.

BTW riddle me this Joker, why did DD buy Blizzard??????

Ron G.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  5. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

these blades have had there share of warrenty issues. we have had wings replaced do to stoppers being installed in wrong spot, Three new wiring harness kits. Our 8611 over extended at least 10 rams last year because there is no stopper mounted on the A frame so that if you have a bad hit on the left it pops the ram out of the cylinder on the right. We have solved this problem I think but as the blade gets older and looser the problem reoccurs. And no it is not driver error most of the time. Our dealer has been great so far, we will see how they are with this issue

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  6. 4evergreenlawns

I do not think it is a driver issue at all.

I have heard about the Stop issues. Again I think DD is the cause of this issue not the plow design. Now I know there will be people out there that say "OH, NO DD is not to blame" but what is the thing that changed with the Blizzard plow line??? DD bought them and started DDing the crap out of the MFG process.

I have to say I am just ordering a new 8611LP for the 08 F-450 and I am really re-thinking just taking my PRE-DD LP and mounting it to the new truck.

Ron G.

7. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

There are a lot of moving parts on these blades and I know that there will be more problems then a regular straight bladed would have. But these ones have been absolute lemmons, So I would have to agree with you about the mfg process. Will we buy any more, no way. We have a couple of Arctic 9 foot trip edge blades with removable sides. Other than the fact that you have to get out of the truck to take the sides off, they are bullet proof. They are 8 years old and we have only replaced the cutting edges and the side runners. Cost $200 and the plow just as efficiently as the 810. Arctic is a Canadian Blade, Do they sell these in the States?

8. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

If you have nothing constructive to say to actually answer his question about a BLIZZARD then shut it.

9. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

You will get better advice probably by putting this in the blizzard forum. It then keeps the rif raf out saying you bought the wrong plow. :p

I have heard about someone else having problem with the center pin. It just wears out. With heavy use this does happen. Exspeicaly to the post-DD plows. Best think you can do is reweld it up and make it stronger. Its a cheap quick fix, and if you do it right. It will last forever. Hell you could even put in a grease zerk if you wanted to as well.

I have had my 810 for about 4 years now. And other than wrecking it into another truck at 40mph. I have had no problems out of it so far. And my center pin was just fine even after wrecking it.

If you have anymore questions i would ask jerre at jerres service in erie, PA

10. joebob

joebob Junior Member
    from ontario

Got warranty from blizzard. we will see how the new ones are designed.happy new Year!

11. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Joebob warranty from blizzard is great till you rigs are in the middle of a storm. Here again good product gone bad for a few cost savings ideam from new owner. Why should the end user have to do there own mods. Hope it works out keep us informed on this and what there fix is.

12. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

ah crap i just realized something. My new Aframe came from post-DD. damit, i hope it lasts.

13. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

since i was a blizzard dealer for several years, i saw the good bad and ugly. not trying to bash them. just saying the product has its share of issues. as far as experience with multiple plows and drivers, i serviced entire fleets of every make and model you could name. every plow jockey worth his salt will tell you plowing technique breaks A frames and quads. you or i could destroy any plow or truck by abusing it.

truth be told, i would buy a boss before any plow on the planet. having worked on them all, they are about the best for serviceability.

why did DD buy blizzard? they were bankrupt, they got it so cheap they couldn't pass it up. they could scrap all the iron, sell the real estate, and make a tidy profit.

don't want to pee on anyone's little thing here, just offering honest input.

14. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Honest input. Hate to tell you the blizzard guys were no were near bankrupt. DD paid a premium for the brand for the slide box patent no other reason. If they were bankrupt why did they consider building the buzz box after selling Blizzard. They made a hefty profit off selling, and it had to do with the owners health issues, not money. If you don't know the facts shut the pie hole.

15. 4evergreenlawns

Buzz Box???? What is that? An attachement or something for the plow???

Ron G.

16. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Buzz Box Material Handler not currently in production, only a few were made for testing as far as I know along with a couple all stainless units. The guys that run them love them and I don't think you could convince them to sell unless it was at a hefty price.

17. 4evergreenlawns

Oh, now I remember. Funny thing the web site is still active as if the product is availble. However. the product has not been available for several seasons now. Was only avaialble for one season, actaully part of one season.

Seeing how there was such a HUGE pay out for the purchase of Blizzard by DD and the Buzz Box venture was so well received by the market seems like someone could of been hired to deliver the product to customer that wanted to pay for it. Hard to say that with such a limited distribuation of a product that it was a success.

Ron G.

18. lilweeds

Never said it was a great success like the plow, but the reason for selling had nothing to do with cash.

19. 4evergreenlawns

Well I do not know anyone directly involved and I was not sitting at the desk when papers were signed and checks were past accross the table so I am in no position to say what was or was not the case.

What I do know from personal experience.

Before the DD buy out there was very limited production of Blizzard plows by the then owner. I know this from experience as I have been buying Blizzard since 04 and starting considering them in 03. It was my view that one of two thngs were at play: 1) the obvious shortfalls in cash flow prevented adequate inventory requiring the MFG to take orders to get credit line to run production, or 2) this was a martketing plan that cause a supply and demand inflated price point.

After the DD buy out we were told about endless supply of parts but were unable to get parts VIA the DD supply chain. Next thing we heard was about the change to ISO modules on the Blizzard line, then we were told the Dealer market was flooded so new plow were not being built due to a lack of orderes. Then new plows started to appear after being re-tooled warranting the coining of PRE-DD and POST-DD Blizzard plows.

How does this apply to this thread? Well it is easy for those that hang around people that think they are in the know and spread conversations as if they were first hand BUT in fact, just as with my business NO ONE knows what the company looks like on a balance sheet but me and a few select others. Therefore, how anyone can really say what the conditions of the buy out really were would only be supporting rumors.

What we do know from the proof of what is happen across the nation is DD is having issues with is core PRE-DD Blizzard owns touting about how great and well built the Blizzard plows are and new POST-DD owner saying the Blizzard line is junk and falling apart. That is something that can be proven nation wide.

I tend to operate my business in a world of what I know and can delvier not what I heard from the guys at the pub while I was having a beer with my new found friends that happen to be sell me something. Then by repeating it makes me powerfull as I have information no one else has.

The Blizzard line is a great product line with some awesome engineering behind it. However, if the current MFG is going to shortcut the piss out of it to save nickels and dimes they are going to prove all the PRE-DD owner right when they said after the buy out DD was going to run the Blizzard line into the ground and fill the void in the market share with red and yellow look alikes.

Ron G.

20. lilweeds

Again we are off topic, but how have you been privilaged enough to see the financial records of the company? Were you a stock holder? IMO they are still a great plow that a good company has taken a few steps backwards. Will it continue? Only time will tell..... In the mean time I think we all know there are things that can be done to make these blades better with only a few extra dollars to get it there. Should we have to? Of course not, but if you want the best plow it's what you have to do.