1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 Ballast Ideas

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Junior MO, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

I have a 02 F-250 CC Shortbed Powerstroke with a 810 attached to the front. I have tried a few things for ballast but have not come up with a good solution. If anyone wants to share their ideas and/or pictures, it would be appreciated.

Right now i have a 4x4ft pallet with sides full of sand. The weight is good, but it doesn't get it all to the rear of the truck. I would like for it to set below the sides of the bed so i can see out of my back window.

Thanks in advance for any help.:waving:

Snowplow2.jpg

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Find an old elevator counterweight.

3. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

How much is it squating when its raised? Do you have timbrens or air bags on the front? I would think what your doing now with the sand would be too much ballast IMO, Get some tube sand and put 10 of those in the back.

4. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

The truck squats quite a bit with the plow raised. Even with the sand in back it doesn't have much traction at the rear wheels. The other night it was a little slick and I had a hard time getting around w/o 4x4 locked in. The box of sand in back holds 1/2 yd of sand so their is roughly 1000lbs of sand in the back already. The front doesn't have timbrens and that may be part of the problem. Would they help if added with traction at the rear wheels?

5. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I think Timbrens would help a bunch. Are you running the OEM/factory tires on the truck? I couldnt tell in the pic? Good tires are a must. I have a buddy with a truck like yours with a 9'2 BOSS and he said the factory tires weren't worth a crap pushing snow.

6. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

New Nitto all-terrain tires were installed this fall so that is not the issue. I think installing Timbrens is the answer. All out other trucks run Western blades and they are not as heavy as the Blizzard so this is a problem I'm not familiar with.

7. purpleranger519

from Kansas

I would start with the Timbrens for sure and go from there.

How do you like your Blizzard compared to your Westerns? You ever decide to sell it let me know.

8. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

Timbrens would be a good idea, but won't do much for traction. Our trucks just don't have good rear axle traction. I have the same trouble without the plow hanging off the front.

Half a yard of wet sand would be about 1500#.

Make a box that will sit behind the wheel wells and in front of the tailgate and fill it with concrete.

Or get a limited slip rear end.

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

those tires in the picture what you're running now? If so, they look awful wide for a plowing tire, not to mention too wide for the rim they're mounted on. A wide A/T type tire is not going to give you good traction. And timbrens are not going to transfer weight to the rear. 1000 lbs in the bed ought to be good enough, even if it isn't located all the way to the back. Only ways I can think to gain traction is a more appropriate tire for plowing (and if you just put new Nittos on, you probably don't want to do that-$$$), add a locker, or just use the 4wd all the time. Honestly, I used to use 2wd as much as possible, only used the 4wd when I couldn't do it in 2wd, but over the years I've gotten to the point where I leave the 4wd engaged most of the time, except for trips between jobs on black roads. It's probably more wear and tear on the 4wd, as opposed to more wear and tear trying to make the truck perform in 2wd.

10. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

We have a bunch of Western blades and most are 7.5ft. We do have one 8ft, 8.5ft, and a 8.5ft V-Plow but they don't touch the 1 Blizzard we have. I run the truck that has the Blizzard and after running a straight blade Western for years, I would hate to go back to one. Even the V-Plow we have is not as efficient as the Blizzard. It would be hard to part ways with it, and if we ever set up another truck Blizzard is what we are going to go with. The only drawback is a close dealer location, which is about 2-3 hours away. We have a Western dealer 30 minutes from us now.

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

THose tires look pretty wide to me also. Just throw about 15 bags of tube sand back there.

12. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

I had one of the shop guys make another ballast for me and it worked great. It basically is skid with scrap block stacked on it for weight. There is about 1400# of block on the skid and it is loaded toward the back of the bed. They are making a few changes to it for me and when it is completely finished I will post a picture.

13. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

They are wide tires (315/75/16) but they do well with the new ballast we made. It provides good traction to the rear wheels now so the tires are not really an issue now. I to like to run in 2wd as much as possible to minimize stress on the drive train.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I will post some pics of the new ballast asap.

14. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Then just go with the wideout and you will be set. essentially the same plow.

15. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Minus the quality and durability of a real Blizzard.

16. purpleranger519

from Kansas

2-3 hours away??? Where did you say you were at again? My Blizzard dealer is in Olathe, he is one of two dealers that I know of in the KC metro area for Blizzards and is by far the best dealer I have ever dealt with.

17. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

We are 100 miles north of St. Louis and the closest dealer is in downtown St. Louis. There is one I believe in St. Joe that we order oil and cutting edges from. They just have to ship to us. When we bought the blade a few years ago there was a dealer in Columbia that we bought it from, but I think he is no longer there. Blizzard does not list him on the website.

18. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

Here is a picture of the ballast we made. Not very sophisticated, but it does the job of keeping the rear end on the ground. The front and back are both strapped down so it does not move.

We used the other one and put it in the back of another CC SB we had just put a plow on. It only has a 7.5ft Western on the front, so it does not need the weight as bad as my truck does. Just the back is strapped down on this one b/c it doesn't tend to slide around as much as the other one.

I was a little worried about the blocks becoming projectiles but when the blade is on we only transport around town and not on highways much. Once the storm is done I break the truck down so I am not lugging around excess weight.

Anyways, better late than never!

Box1.jpg

Box2.jpg

19. oldman1922

oldman1922 Junior Member
    from Canada

I would think that the best weight would be a sheet of plate steel the length of your box.Weight desired would dictate thickness. Leave it there for the plowing season and you still have the use of your truck box.

20. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I'd like to use a spare Blizzard 810 for ballast. Then I'd always have a fullsize spare in case of breakdowns.