1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

810 A frame broken welds

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by fireside, Feb 12, 2012.

1. fireside

fireside Senior Member

This is a 2008 810 bought brand new in a box feb 2010 and used 1 storm that season. It was used a complete season last year around 16 events. Today i go to move the truck and raise the plow and it makes a funny noise. i also don't think it lifts as high. After futher investigation this is what i find.

IMG_5723.JPG

IMG_5724.JPG

2. fireside

fireside Senior Member

this is the other side

IMG_5728.JPG

IMG_5729.JPG

3. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

just rewelded an 8611 fullsize yesterday

4. fireside

fireside Senior Member

this are of the cracked metal around the wing hoses. I have seen this before on my 2000 but no wear near as bad as this. I wish i know what the cause of this is from.

IMG_5721.JPG

IMG_5725.JPG

IMG_5726.JPG

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's from trying to move curbs with it.

6. fireside

fireside Senior Member

The pictures don't show how bad the damage is. The rear section was opened up over 1/2 inch and cracked all the way around to the top of the frame. The two sections just rolled upward. there is no other damage to the a frame. I was able to get the frame to be level again with the old welds fiting perfect in there old locations. It appears to me that the cause of the problem was a lack of weld on one side and lack of penatration on the other. I do have more welding and inspection to do in the am.
    I just hope it sits level on the truck with no problems. On the floor it seems to be ok. i don't plan of changing the frame if it's not ok, with no snow this year and no snow in the forcast. I will just go back to the 1999 that was on the truck before i bought this one.
    I

7. fireside

fireside Senior Member

The repair welding

IMG_5733.JPG

IMG_5734.JPG

IMG_5735.JPG

IMG_5736.JPG

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Second pic down on post #7. Those ears look bent. Not telling you your business and how to perform this repair, but if it were me I would add some small gussets to the shear points as well as some fish plating.
    T.J.

9. fireside

fireside Senior Member

That ear got bent trying to get the pin out and from the foward roll of the tub on the pistion. It's not as bad as it looks. As for gussetts i am no wear finshed with this project. I just ran out of time more work on it in the am

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Good to hear. Need some plates plasma cut or something machined let me know. I am not too far from you.
    T.J.

11. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Thank you.
    It took sometime just to get it to that point. Thank god for a 10 ton c clamp porta power.

12. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I have had to reweld all of our A frames. All in the same places as yours. Try to weld the backside of the angle on the rear or side closest to pushbeam. And add a fishplate across the seam on the front.

13. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Good ol DD welding at its best???????

14. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

I wish i had a dollar for every broken Blizzard plow i see on here. I wouldnt have to plow anymore

15. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Beat me to it.

Apparently that crappy welder as well as the Quality Unassurance guy worked for DD for quite some time.

Wonder if they are both still employed at DD?

None of mine look like that, but then, I only own 2 DD Blizzards but those are both standard 8611's. Hopefully I won't, either.

Maybe they should invest in some robotic welders, couldn't be worse than whoever did all these blades.

16. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have been using blizzard plows for 11 season now with no problems as you see in the pictures. I have a 99 that plows almost all gravel and no damage to the a frame or plow. All plows have there problems/faults I will take a little welding over the benifits of the plow.
    As for plow damage you should of seen the boss v plow i repaired this year. it was only 2 seasons old and it had major broken welds in the hinge area.

17. DIRISHMAN

Hey DFD Of corse thet still work there.Their just in a different department Westerns End look at all the Problems AGAIN in the Welds For the WIDEOUT. Buddy of mine has a BRAND NEW WIDEOUT USED 2 STORM SO FAR BEING THE WINTER WE HAVE AND HALF OF THE WELDS ARE BROKE OR NOT EVEN WERE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE.LOOKS LIKE PISS POOR PENETRATION ON THE WELDS.WHAT ARE YOU TALKIN ABOUT THEY ARE ROBOTIC WELDS?????

18. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

B&B said in a different but related thread that some of the Western sheet metal is still welded by hand.

Maybe Mr Murphy could clarify if this is just a crappily programmed welder for the past 5+ years or if they are hiring idiots in the welding and quality unassurance program.

19. DIRISHMAN

:laughing:nice but hate to say it ..the later part of what you said is more likely

20. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

My 06 broke the same way. They actually warrantied the a frame, but NO labor.