1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

81 Dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by PremierLand, Sep 28, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey guys. I might be able to pick up a 81 dodge for free, as long as I tow the 93 ford to the location of where the 81 dodge is (in the U.P.).

It needs some motor work, but a new motor would be better.

What do you guys think about this? It seems like a solid truck, it has a lotta miles, like most of these trucks. Its also a manual.

The truck is my dads, and im trying to talk him into trading with me for my 93.

Before I thought it was a 88, but its really a 81. It is the exact truck that was in the auto show in 81 and the EXACT one that one truck of the year.

Anyway, If I did get it back here, got a new motor in, got some front end work done to it, and got a cheapo macco paint job, would it be a decent plow truck?

Or is it not even worth it and should I look into buying an 87 or 89 dodge that I was checking out instead.

2. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

Hello,
    i am a master tech from nh. You are getting the truck for free ,but figure a new motor will run you 8-1200 for a long block plus 5-700 in labor. Also add a new clutch if your changing the motor might as well. factor in lots of misc parts radiator maybe hoses belts etc etc. then the front end ball joints tie rods wheel bearings plus labor 3-500 bucks. Then everyone's favorite 1981 bound to need brake lines all of them wheel cylinders maybe calipers probably so rotted you can't get the old lines out. plow ? I could go on and on ,but you catch my drift... Up here you can get a late 80's dodge with a plow in good shape for like 3000.00 so It's really up to you!!!!!!!!!!!!
    good luck

3. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

its a 1981 dodge i would take that truck in a heart beat. just get it running good and relieable and dont worry about paint just yet. find a good used 8ft or 8.5ft plow for it and make some money. does your f150 have a plow? if u dont get the dodge use the f150 for plowing.

4. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

the 150 is 2wd