1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

81 Chevy truck questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sharpcut 1, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Does anyone know where I can find an owners manual online?? Mome specificly, I just bought an 81 Chevy Truck with the original AM/FM Cassette stereo, with the electronic display. How do I set the time, and the presets for the radio stations. Also, what trans would this truck of come with originally?? It is a 3/4 ton 2 wd standard cab truck. Thank you, JOHN
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Im not sure on the manuals, but it will either have the TH-350 or the TH-400. what kind of engine does it have?
  3. Rickco

Rickco Member

Most likely the TH-350c. This was a lock up converter
  4. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Post a picture of the radio and I can walk you thru it.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

To set the time, pull out on the "scan" button and hold until the correct hour is set. To set the minute's, pull out and hold the"seek" button until the correct minute's are displayed. The station presets are the same way,when your on a station you want to save, pull out one of the four small button's under the cassette door.Since their's four button's you can save up to four station's. Hope this help's. :)
  6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if you need some great info on 73-87 chevys look over at www.ck5.com great site . what shape is the tranny pan? if square with 1 corner 45ed off its th350 or 350c 350c will have a 4 pin plug on left of case behind shifter linkage going in to tranny. may not have all 4 wires used tho. th400 tranny has a pan shaped like the state of texas.
  7. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

You guts rock!! Got my radio figured out, fixed some bad fixtures/ ground problems on some lights, still need to do a tranny fluid/filter change. The instriment pannel shows a 4 speed auto overdrive, and I get 4 clics on the steering column afterneutral, but only feel it shifting 3 times. Speedo also seems to read about 10 off. Motor is from a 90 pickup. Think someone swapped the trans also?? Is there an ID tag on these trans. like the older ones? Thanks, JOHNpurplebou
  8. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

re read my post above. i stated how to id a pan to id the tranny.