1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

81 chevy not getting fuel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sltboss02, Nov 12, 2009.

1. sltboss02

sltboss02 Junior Member

have 81 350 with a quadrajet carb. pump is pumping fuel to carb, but no fuel going through carb. I got a rebuild kit and re-did the seat and needle, the bowl and everything was all full of corrosion. cleaned everything and put it back together, and nothing.. still the same thing, like the needle isn't letting fuel in...? what do I do? I need it fixed cause it's part of my plow fleet.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So when you pump the accelerator you don't have fuel spraying in the bore?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But did you remove the fuel inlet fitting and clean it out in there including removing the internal fuel filter? If not that's likely your issue.

4. sltboss02

sltboss02 Junior Member

took whole carb apart and cleaned everything, no fuel is getting into the carb

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I know a guy that likes to loosen the fuel inlet and turn the engine over to see if he's getting fuel to the carb.

I know another guy that recommends having a fire extinguisher handy during this test.

6. sltboss02

sltboss02 Junior Member

yeah, I have started it on fire a few times... I am almost ready to just buy a new carb, I just don't want to spend the $400

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't tell me much...Did you verify the fuel inlet was clear through to the seat port in the fuel bowel with compressed air? Did you do the same thing after it was re-assembled? Just the basics you do during and after any rebuild to verify unobstructed flow.