1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

81-87 gm 1/2 to 3/4- 1 ton Frame differences ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by massbowtie, Aug 9, 2013.

1. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

What are the differences ? Im looking at trading my road glide for a 1987 chevy 1/2 ton p/u that has either 3/4 or 1 ton axles and suspension. What I would like to do is put a
    5th wheel hitch in it so in the rare event of my main truck crapping out I could use it as a back up. I know legally it can only haul what a half ton can and boxing the frame or adding crossmemembers wont change it either. We usually haul with in 2 hours from homebase, maybe 3 on a rare event.The trailer runs about8-8500lbs.I do know the frame width on the 1/2 is narrower than the 3/4 ton Im just not sure what years that is.
    The more I think about it the less feasible it sounds for the 5th wheel idea. Sliding a 1 ton frame under it and swapping everything out is alot of work but its a really nice truck.
    Any input is apreciated.
  2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

81-87 GM 1/2 ton & 3/4 ton frames are the same.

With the right gears that truck will pull the weight, I know my 85 K20 with 4.10's will with a mild built 350 engine turning 35" tires.
  3. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

That is not correct, the 3/4ton has the same size frame but it is thicker making it stronger, the 1ton frame is 1in. taller as well as thinker yet then the 3/4ton.

1/2ton. frame is not narrower then 3/4ton or even 1ton.