1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

81-87 Chevy truck question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kballan, Jun 7, 2003.

1. kballan

kballan Junior Member

Hi everyone. I'm a new user here - I happened on this site searching for some parts for my 86 Chev. I've been looking for 2 years now for clear taillight lenses. Does anyone know where I can find these??? I've seen sites that claim clear, but they have a red insert in them. I'm looking for lenses that have no color at all. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

There are numerous companies who make clear taillights for your truck,but I highly doubt you'll find ones that are totally clear.They were on the market for a while,but got pulled as they did not meet DOT specs.

DOT specs state that the rear lenses must have some sort of red relector.Most of the aftermarket clear tails,did noit have the reflector,and were pulled or updated.Thats why they usually have a red insert now,as it's also a reflector.

Even if you do find a pair,I would hesitate to install them as most police depts are now on the lookout for the totally clear ones,and will ticket you accordingly.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Try APC - www.4apc.net , or Clearlights - www.clearlights.com

I know clearlights was one of a few who carried the totally clear ones,not sure if they have them for your truck though.

APC has some cool looking Retro 3D tails,but they only fit newer trucks.

4. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

I have seen those Euro lights of differant styles on E-bay for 73 - 87 Chevy pick ups. See if there is something there you would like. I'm going to get a pair for my next project.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

One look at the price and you will go screaming! No way can I see paying that much for plastic.

~Chuck

6. kballan

kballan Junior Member

Thanks for the replies so far! I have been pricing out the euro-tails as well, and yeah, they're expensive! I did find a pair on www.bananaspeed.com for pretty cheap though. About $90 bucks. Not too bad compared to $150 to $200 at the other places! I'm beginning to think that the euro-tails may be the only way left to go. I am heading to the big swap meet in Iola, WI in July though, so with any luck I'll find the clears there. This looks to be a great site with lots of info! I'll be here often! Thanks guys! Cheers! :drinkup: