1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

80's Cable Plow Not Moving

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PinkyRingz, Jan 5, 2010.

1. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

Hey all, I put this plow on last year (home made rigging) and it worked great all last winter. I am trying to install it now and have everything same as last year. When I throw the joystick I hear the relay switching but the pump doesn't make a sound. I connected a battery to the pump and it hummed away. I adjusted my cables all one way and then the other to no avail. I want to check the screen but have no idea where it is. Any ideas or pointers?
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

If the solenoid "clicks" be sure you have power in and out of the solenoid on the heavy wires , this can be checked with a test light , should have power to one side constant and the other side should have power when you move the controller and the solenoid "clicks".

I'll bet your solenoid went toes up on you :D

TOM

3. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

I'll test the solenoid shortly. Damn thing works when it's sunny and dry out now i need to plow, go figure...although i did slack in the maintenance department so that is my fault. I should have kept a better eye on things.
    I found the filter inside the housing under the pump and what i found scared me. The filter is covered in wee bits of metal flakes. Think I might have to get a new pump assembly soon. I'll be happy if i can get one more season out of the old girl.

4. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

I'm measuring 12.75 volts across the solenoid and it still won't move. It just clicks. i've changed the fluid, beefed up and cleaned and double checked all electrical connections. I'm out of ideas....y'all got any?

5. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

well if you jump the solinoid and get the motor to work try and take the plates that seals where the cables enter them pump and work them with a screwdriver and have someone jump the solidoid wile you work them to see if you get anything thats how i fixed my probeblem.

6. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

The motor runs when you jump power to it ?

If so I would think it is a ground issue since you have power across the solenoid.

TOM

7. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

I was thinking about that last night when i went to bed, I have a door to change out this morning but this afternoon I was going to pull the controller unit and double check all of my grounds. I jumped the pump and it works fine and I have power across the solenoid and it's clicking so I kn ow it works. Because everything else works plus the suggestions of the lads here, it has to be a bad, broken or weak wiring connection somewhere.
    Time to rip it apart and go at 'er again.

I'm buying a new-to-me truck shortly and I was thinking of biting the bullet and getting a newer plow as well. Is there a design that is better then the other? Are the wireless "solenoid" i guess controllers any better? These cable rigs dont seem to be the bee's knees to me. However you can physically check connections. I dunno, Just thinking and wondering aloud.
    Have a good day all!