1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

80in cutting edge

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rob_cook2001, Feb 5, 2011.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I am looking for a bolt on cutting edge for my low-pro bucket. I called bobcat and they wanted $380 bucks!! Anyone have a clue where I can get one for less money?
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Try your local welding shop. We have a local guy here that will punch you an edge for about half of the dealers price. Even does boss V formed edges.

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Do you have any friends who are excavators, or that work at a county road maintenance yard? I would think that either one would be able to connect you to a local cutting edge supplier. I have a guy, that I buy from, who is out of Grand Junction. I am not sure if he supplies your area (where are you located anyway?). I can find out if he does if you wish. Even if not I'm sure he would quote me and I can relay that info. to you. At least you would have something to compare. A local guy, or at least someone who makes regular rounds to your area, will be the ticket. Otherwise you may get killed by freight charges.
    I'm not sure that most welding shops can make you the best product. A cutting edge requires special treatment, in anealing and a very high carbon content, to acheive the optimum abrasion resistance without becoming too brittle. I may be mistaken but I think that the hole punching and beveling must be done prior to treatment. Once this process is completed it is difficult to manipulate the edge without over stressing it. It can be done but it requires someone who knows what they are doing. As an example I would ask if you have ever tried to weld a cutting edge to repair a crack, or to add shanks? This is often performed on mini excavator buckets when one wants to replace the cheesy bolt on tip retainers, also known as shanks, with weld on units. In most cases the edge will be prone breaking and cracking. It often does not happen right away. It may take a while but it will definately reduce the effective life of the component. This is because the welding process heats the edge quickly and it cools quickly. This makes the metal brittle and even preloads the edge with tinsel pressures. This can be avoided by pre-heating the edge (prior to welding) and SLOWLY cooling it after the welding process. This can be accomplished in the field by using special heating blankets to control pre-heating and cool down.
    Obviously the carbon content has to be added when the steel is made so the correct materials must be ordered in the first place. I'm not saying that it can't be done. Just make sure that, if you decide to go to a welder, that they know how to deal with cutting edges. If you attempt to use mild steel as an edge I bet you would get 25% of the life of a true high carbon edge.
    Let me know if you want me to inquire on your behalf.
    On Edit:
    I forgot to mention that I also get the best deals on any type of chain, including tire chains, from this supplier.
  4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

+1, this is the way to go.

take an old truck cutting edge (that's worn out) and weld it to your bucket. (that's what I did)

works fine.
  5. Maxamillion67

Maxamillion67 Member