1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

8'0 Western Ultra Mount - new to plowing

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jtmonte, Jan 20, 2013.

1. jtmonte

jtmonte Junior Member
    from ny

2. jtmonte

jtmonte Junior Member
    from ny

also in the third picture you can see some rust, should i be concerned about this?

3. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

They have shocks in addition to springs. The springs are still there to enable tripping. The shocks cushion the blade when it snaps back after tripping.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I like the way the seller says "plow will fit anything". Yes you can make it fit just about any truck but not for free! You will need new truck side mounts $2 - $400 (unless you put it on the same year / model it came off) Then you will need the headlight harness, all the other cables and maybe the control too if he keeps it. Not to mention the cost to do the installation. Typically this works out to between $1 and $2000. Does this still sound like a good deal?

The photos look good as far as wear & tear goes. It does have four springs and one shock, normal. The cutting edge is in good shape so that will last a while. I would check the pivot bar pins to ensure they are not seized as this was a problem with the old ultra-mounts since they had no grease zerks. To check these pins dismount the plow and then see how hard it is to move the headlight tower back and forth. It should tip all the way forward toward the blade and then all the way back until the chains get tight again with little to know resistance. If you can't move it then the plow will need work. If they are seized it's usually about $400 to fix.
    Before you commit to this be sure to ask the guy what he is including in the deal. Handheld controller? All the wiring & relay? Then go to the Western dealer and tell him what it came off, what it's going on and what you have. They will be able to tell you the "real" cost to make it work on your truck. While you are there, ask them what a new plow, installed, would cost. I suspect you will be shocked at what little difference there is in price new Vs used.

5. jtmonte

jtmonte Junior Member
    from ny

just got back from looking at it

he is going to include everything, harness truck mount lights everything. I have the same truck that he has.

the paint on the blade is flakey (needs a good sand blasting and paint)

the mount where the blade connects had been previously welded and is starting to fail so im assuming it needs this as i would have better piece of mind knowing that the blade is not going to fail. (http://www.plowpartsdirect.com/west...ow-parts/western-ultramount-pro-quadrant.html)

so what do you think would be a good offer to make?? 1200?? (before i even looked at it i had him down to 1500)

6. mishnick

Sorry I can't tell you what it is worth, prices are different depending on geography, demand & supply etc. I would think you could get a whole new plow installed for as little as $5000 so it all depends on how much you can do yourself. If you have a little shop and are good with mechanical / electrical things then it will cost nothing to install but a new mount (cracked & welded isn't good).

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $1000 but here in Canada plows typically cost more.

7. jtmonte

jtmonte Junior Member
    from ny

yea i think im going to offer him 1000, i have a shop and am fairly good mechanically, i have a guy that can weld fairly decent and worse comes to worse for $380 ill put a new bracket on. dont get a tremendous amount of snow here (LI,NY) so for the small storms we'll get seems like this should do the job and makes its money.

thanks for all the help

8. mishnick

Sounds like a plan. Just a note.... not sure what kind of mount he has but some have little L shaped metal brackets that go inside the frame to reinforce the holes so the bolts don't ripp out of the frame. People often forget to remove them and then the new guy gets stuck without them. Make sure they give you all the pieces.