1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

80 powerwagon w/ pto

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by wildwilly, Dec 27, 2009.

1. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

gentlemen:
    I have a chance in buying a 1 ton 1980 dodge powerwagon gasser...this vehicle is a "bush truck" with a compartment/ 300 gal water tank/pump bed that I can get for about $500....My plan is to sell firetruck bed, replace with a box bed and hook up a hydraulic pump to the pto to run a snowblower off the front of the truck.
    The vehicle has a whopping 30kms on it and is used as a backup for a fire dept. so I know it is VERY well maintained.
    Is this possible? or am I a dreamer?
    thanks for any info...sorry no pics yet...the deal is everything... saws,lights,hoses,12000#warn,portable pumps etc. anything that is in the truck now!!!!!
    Bill

2. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

errrrrrr 30,000kms=20,000miles sorry

3. MattR

MattR Senior Member

If that deal was close by me I would snatch that up right away even if the PTO was not on it. My uncle used to run those old Dodge Power Wagons and he loved them. I always wanted one but never found one in good enough shape since most owners ran them until they finally died or fell apart. The last one my uncle has still runs. He only uses it on the farm since the frame is badly bent from an accident that it does not drive straight anymore. Last time I asked him, he had 390,000+ miles on it. Not sure what that converts to in metric though. The best thing is it has been plowing since new. Tough to beat those old Power Wagons.

As far as the PTO/snowblower question, sorry I cannot help ya out. I am sure some others will chime in to give advice.

4. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

thanks matt...I have many resi's and the way they build them now there is no place to put the snow except back onto the road then clean up when the city bothers to go by.
    after reading 1000's of posts and getting feedback on different ideas I believe the perfect setup would be an ebling back blade and a front mounted blower...this in my mind is quicker than backdragging many times...although I may be wrong ????

5. MattR

MattR Senior Member

Honestly I would love that setup... Dodge power wagon with a front mounted blower. I mainly do residentials and also clean up after the town plow clears the main drive at the town dump. The blower would be ideal for most of my residentials since they are like you said...no place for the snow.

I am hoping somebody with knowledge about this posts some advice since I am even curious about a setup like this.

Matt

6. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

You need to find out the pump capacity and flow rate of the pump on the truck and the requirements for the blower you want to use. What did the pump run on the truck?

7. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

the pto was hooked up to a water pump for the 300 gal tank ...I believe the hoses used were 1 1/2 inch diameter s so it must be creating alot of pressure for fires...I had a preliminary look at it this fall but can't seem to find much info regarding the pto on the net ...I still have yet to talk to good ol dodge boys for this application...There is an option on the new fords to have a pto to run hydraulics ...so I am assuming this is also possible...Dodge did put a fair number of military vehicles...I can imagine some had this option

8. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

There is a formula for figuring out flow using the length and diameter of the gears in the pump, if you can get that info I can figure it out for you.

9. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Find out what company assembled the fire truck. If they're still in business they would be able to answer any questions.

10. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

thanks for the "how to" info I will get it as soon as I can get to the station, my buddy is the new chief, I'll grab some pics too while I'm there , I know you guys are total voyeurs on this site lol